Re: ODBC.Net crash reading empty column values

Richie S

3/12/2002 3:59:00 PM

I too have been having the same problems, first with MySQL as others here
have described and now with InterBase, this is a very fustrating problem as
I have to fill all Varchars with "Empty" for now which is not great for the
user(s).

What is strange however is the the server explorer seems to display the data
fine ? Does this do something different or use a different ODBCDataAdaptor.

Well done to Riku for tracing down the exact causes, any news if MS can do
anything ?

Thanks, Richard Smith

"John Hatfield" <johnh@first-insight.com> wrote in message

> I am using the Microsoft ODBC.Net driver dated 2002.01.30.
> I still get a crash when selecting data rows which
> have one or more empty values. If the value is null,
> there is no crash.
>
> I am filling my DataSet using an OdbcDataAdapter in the
> normal manner:
>
> Dim objDS As New Data.DataSet()
> Dim conn As New OdbcConnection(
> "DSN=xxx;uid=abc;pwd=xyz;")
> Dim adapter As New OdbcDataAdapter()
> adapter.SelectCommand = New OdbcCommand(
> "SELECT first_name, middle_name, last_name FROM users")
> adapter.SelectCommand.Connection = conn
> adapter.Fill(objDS)
> conn.Close()
>
> The error message and traceback follow:
>
> An unhandled exception of
> type 'Microsoft.Data.Odbc.OdbcException' occurred in
> system.windows.forms.dll
>
> Additional information: System error.
>
> Unhandled Exception: Microsoft.Data.Odbc.OdbcException:
> NO_DATA - no error information available
> at Microsoft.Data.Odbc.OdbcConnection.HandleError
>
> Any ideas on when this might be fixed?
>
> Thanks

1 Answer

(David Sceppa)