Server Application Unavailable

Infinit Loop

3/11/2002 8:59:00 PM

Hi everyone.

I been getting this error on my browser "Server Application Unavailable"
What does this mean and how can I fix it.
It looks like .html files open with no problem
.aspx files do not open

Any help is appreciated.

Second question what is the latest Mobile Tool Kit version
How do I get simulators for a phone device or PDAs etc..

Thanks in advance.

James

7 Answers

Frank DeFalco

First a question:

When you are getting the Server Application Unavailable message, is that
part of a larger error message? Sometimes there are machine.config problems
that need to be remedied.

Second - The most recent version of the Mobile Internet Toolkit is 1.0, the
first release version. Here is a link to it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?url=/downloads/sam...
l=/msdn-files/027/001/817/msdncompositedoc.xml

As for emulators, you can get them from most of the manufacturers websites.
A good one is the Openwave emulator environment, its a WAP browser. Here is
a link to that.

http://www.openwave.com/products/developer_products/sdk/...

Frank

"Infinit Loop" <sql_agentman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone.
>
> I been getting this error on my browser "Server Application Unavailable"
> What does this mean and how can I fix it.
> It looks like .html files open with no problem
> .aspx files do not open
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Second question what is the latest Mobile Tool Kit version
> How do I get simulators for a phone device or PDAs etc..
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> James

Infinit Loop

Frank,

Thank you for your quick response.
Yes you are right that I had to set the userName attribute to SYSTEM in the
<processModel> section of the Machine.config file. This has some serious
security issues.
Is there any way around this?
I downloaded the SDK 1.0 and I will down load the emulators
Thank you for your help and all the links..

Any other thoughts are welcomed.

Thanks Frank

James
"Frank DeFalco" <frank.defalco@immedient.com> wrote in message
> First a question:
>
> When you are getting the Server Application Unavailable message, is that
> part of a larger error message? Sometimes there are machine.config
problems
> that need to be remedied.
>
> Second - The most recent version of the Mobile Internet Toolkit is 1.0,
the
> first release version. Here is a link to it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?url=/downloads/sam...
> l=/msdn-files/027/001/817/msdncompositedoc.xml
>
> As for emulators, you can get them from most of the manufacturers
websites.
> A good one is the Openwave emulator environment, its a WAP browser. Here
is
> a link to that.
>
> http://www.openwave.com/products/developer_products/sdk/...
>
> Frank
>
> "Infinit Loop" <sql_agentman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi everyone.
> >
> > I been getting this error on my browser "Server Application
Unavailable"
> > What does this mean and how can I fix it.
> > It looks like .html files open with no problem
> > .aspx files do not open
> >
> > Any help is appreciated.
> >
> > Second question what is the latest Mobile Tool Kit version
> > How do I get simulators for a phone device or PDAs etc..
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > James

Infinit Loop

Frank,

the emulator link you provided has many options.
can you please be more specific?
I downloaded the 5.1 preview since it is the latest.
My questions are many, because I am new to this
What version should I download?
What is the SKD WAP Addition do? etc....

Thanks again,

James

"Frank DeFalco" <frank.defalco@immedient.com> wrote in message
> First a question:
>
> When you are getting the Server Application Unavailable message, is that
> part of a larger error message? Sometimes there are machine.config
problems
> that need to be remedied.
>
> Second - The most recent version of the Mobile Internet Toolkit is 1.0,
the
> first release version. Here is a link to it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?url=/downloads/sam...
> l=/msdn-files/027/001/817/msdncompositedoc.xml
>
> As for emulators, you can get them from most of the manufacturers
websites.
> A good one is the Openwave emulator environment, its a WAP browser. Here
is
> a link to that.
>
> http://www.openwave.com/products/developer_products/sdk/...
>
> Frank
>
> "Infinit Loop" <sql_agentman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi everyone.
> >
> > I been getting this error on my browser "Server Application
Unavailable"
> > What does this mean and how can I fix it.
> > It looks like .html files open with no problem
> > .aspx files do not open
> >
> > Any help is appreciated.
> >
> > Second question what is the latest Mobile Tool Kit version
> > How do I get simulators for a phone device or PDAs etc..
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > James

Frank DeFalco

Well...

More questions:

What type of development are you trying to do?
What type of application, on what devices will it be used or do you intend
for it to be used?

The openwave emulator is a WAP emulator, which means it will let you test
applications intended for phones with microbrowsers.

If you can be a little more specific, I'll be able to help more.

> Frank,
>
> the emulator link you provided has many options.
> can you please be more specific?
> I downloaded the 5.1 preview since it is the latest.
> My questions are many, because I am new to this
> What version should I download?
> What is the SKD WAP Addition do? etc....
>
> Thanks again,
>
> James
>
> "Frank DeFalco" <frank.defalco@immedient.com> wrote in message
> > First a question:
> >
> > When you are getting the Server Application Unavailable message, is that
> > part of a larger error message? Sometimes there are machine.config
> problems
> > that need to be remedied.
> >
> > Second - The most recent version of the Mobile Internet Toolkit is 1.0,
> the
> > first release version. Here is a link to it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?url=/downloads/sam...
> > l=/msdn-files/027/001/817/msdncompositedoc.xml
> >
> > As for emulators, you can get them from most of the manufacturers
> websites.
> > A good one is the Openwave emulator environment, its a WAP browser. Here
> is
> > a link to that.
> >
> > http://www.openwave.com/products/developer_products/sdk/...
> >
> > Frank
> >
> > "Infinit Loop" <sql_agentman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi everyone.
> > >
> > > I been getting this error on my browser "Server Application
> Unavailable"
> > > What does this mean and how can I fix it.
> > > It looks like .html files open with no problem
> > > .aspx files do not open
> > >
> > > Any help is appreciated.
> > >
> > > Second question what is the latest Mobile Tool Kit version
> > > How do I get simulators for a phone device or PDAs etc..
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > James

Infinit Loop

Frank,

I am trying to learn WML in general. I am new to this.
I am not developing anything in particular.
I need to be able to emulate a Phone or a PDA.
Also I like to be able to View the Source on "that" device...
General right now.

Thanks for your help

> Well...
>
> More questions:
>
> What type of development are you trying to do?
> What type of application, on what devices will it be used or do you intend
> for it to be used?
>
> The openwave emulator is a WAP emulator, which means it will let you test
> applications intended for phones with microbrowsers.
>
> If you can be a little more specific, I'll be able to help more.
>
> Frank
>

> "Infinit Loop" <sql_agentman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Frank,
> >
> > the emulator link you provided has many options.
> > can you please be more specific?
> > I downloaded the 5.1 preview since it is the latest.
> > My questions are many, because I am new to this
> > What version should I download?
> > What is the SKD WAP Addition do? etc....
> >
> > Thanks again,
> >
> > James
> >
> > "Frank DeFalco" <frank.defalco@immedient.com> wrote in message
> > > First a question:
> > >
> > > When you are getting the Server Application Unavailable message, is
that
> > > part of a larger error message? Sometimes there are machine.config
> > problems
> > > that need to be remedied.
> > >
> > > Second - The most recent version of the Mobile Internet Toolkit is
1.0,
> > the
> > > first release version. Here is a link to it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?url=/downloads/sam...
> > > l=/msdn-files/027/001/817/msdncompositedoc.xml
> > >
> > > As for emulators, you can get them from most of the manufacturers
> > websites.
> > > A good one is the Openwave emulator environment, its a WAP browser.
Here
> > is
> > > a link to that.
> > >
> > > http://www.openwave.com/products/developer_products/sdk/...
> > >
> > > Frank
> > >
> > > "Infinit Loop" <sql_agentman@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Unavailable"

Shanku Niyogi

James,

If you find that you're having to change the user name to system to run your
web site, then either there's something wrong with the permissions set on
the site, or there are privileged operations you're trying to perform in the
app.

To check the former, check out the file permissions on your web site
directory, and make sure that the user ASPNET has read access. Also, you can
create a new vroot, and see if the same problems happen.

Shanku

> Frank,
>
> Thank you for your quick response.
> Yes you are right that I had to set the userName attribute to SYSTEM in
the
> <processModel> section of the Machine.config file. This has some serious
> security issues.
> Is there any way around this?
> I downloaded the SDK 1.0 and I will down load the emulators
> Thank you for your help and all the links..
>
> Any other thoughts are welcomed.
>
> Thanks Frank
>
> James
> "Frank DeFalco" <frank.defalco@immedient.com> wrote in message
> > First a question:
> >
> > When you are getting the Server Application Unavailable message, is that
> > part of a larger error message? Sometimes there are machine.config
> problems
> > that need to be remedied.
> >
> > Second - The most recent version of the Mobile Internet Toolkit is 1.0,
> the
> > first release version. Here is a link to it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?url=/downloads/sam...
> > l=/msdn-files/027/001/817/msdncompositedoc.xml
> >
> > As for emulators, you can get them from most of the manufacturers
> websites.
> > A good one is the Openwave emulator environment, its a WAP browser. Here
> is
> > a link to that.
> >
> > http://www.openwave.com/products/developer_products/sdk/...
> >
> > Frank
> >
> > "Infinit Loop" <sql_agentman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi everyone.
> > >
> > > I been getting this error on my browser "Server Application
> Unavailable"
> > > What does this mean and how can I fix it.
> > > It looks like .html files open with no problem
> > > .aspx files do not open
> > >
> > > Any help is appreciated.
> > >
> > > Second question what is the latest Mobile Tool Kit version
> > > How do I get simulators for a phone device or PDAs etc..
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > James

Infinit Loop

Shanku,