$ variable for process id?

John W. Long

I thought I saw a $ variable for the process id on the list a few days ago
but I can't seem to find it. Could someone please remind me?

--
John Long
wiseheartdesign.com

3 Answers

daz

"John W. Long" <ws@johnwlong.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I thought I saw a $ variable for the process id on the list a few days ago
> but I can''t seem to find it. Could someone please remind me?
>
> --
> John Long
> wiseheartdesign.com

$$ The process number of the program being executed.

?

daz

John W. Long

Cool! Thanks for the quick response.
___________________
John Long
www.wiseheartdesign.com

> > I thought I saw a $ variable for the process id on the list a few days
ago
> > but I can''t seem to find it. Could someone please remind me?
> >
> > --
> > John Long
> > wiseheartdesign.com
> >

> $$ The process number of the program being executed.
>

> ?
>
> daz

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

Hi!

* John W. Long; 2003-09-30, 12:54 UTC:
> From: "daz" <dooby@d10.karoo.co.uk>
> >
> > "John W. Long" <ws@johnwlong.com> wrote:
> > > I thought I saw a $ variable for the process id on the list a
> > > few days ago but I can''t seem to find it. Could someone please
> > > remind me?
> >
> > $$ The process number of the program being executed.

> Cool! Thanks for the quick response.

An alternative and more readable means of obtaining the PID is:

Process.pid

This brings up the subject of errata for ''Ruby in a Nutshell'' - p 37,
line 2 reads

$$ The process.pid of the current Ruby Program being executed

instead of

$$ The Process.pid of the current Ruby Program being executed

To John: Please see

2.2 Tell me the posting guidelines for comp.lang.ruby

in the FAQ for this group that is available at

http://rubyhacker.com/c...

If you can read German the pointers in section

2.2.8 Links

of the German version of the FAQ that is available at

http://oss.erdfunkstell...

Will provide you with additional information about formatting issues
and Outlook/Outlook Express that you might find helpful. Note to
myself: I should look for English language equivalents of the linked
ressources and mail them to Hal.

Please take notice of signature! / Bitte Signature beachten!

Josef ''Jupp'' Schugt
--
*Warning!* For sending me messages > 100 kB you need my explicit
permission. Otherwise they will be silently discarded.