Re: Stop Immigration

Zach Dennis

9/29/2003 12:44:00 PM

Well if makes you feel any better, my fiance is about to graduate with a
degree with Business Marketing from Western Michigan Univ. and one of her
requirements is to take an 'internet marketing' class. From what she's told
me they are trying to have her learn that SPAM is just an evil
discriminating way to say Internet Marketing( yeah for of all of SPAM-bias
folk out here who have the wrong idea about SPAM ), and they've got
thousands of these people graduating every 6 months!! Her professor gave her
an assignment the other weekend to point out all of the benefits of Internet
Marketing( like there were any ) and she had to describe how an Internet
Marketeer was to get people's online information.

Well I guess it won't make you feel any better, but it is sad,

-Zach

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul William [mailto:maillist@bestworldweb.homelinux.com]
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 8:10 AM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Re: Stop Immigration

I cant believe it. Political SPAM!!!!!!!! WTF does this guy think he is
doing.

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 21:30, Vanguard News Network wrote:
> Stop Immigration
>
> Joe Guzzardi for governor of California
>
> http://www.guzzardi...
>
> Guzzardi: I'll put National Guard troops on the Cal-Mex border
>
> http://www.modbee.com/local/story/7373525p-829...
>
> Finn en venn eller en flørt - www.spraydate.no
> Få deg en ekstra e-postadresse du også - http://mai...

4 Answers

Rasputin

* Zach Dennis <zdennis@mktec.com> [0944 13:44]:
> Well if makes you feel any better, my fiance is about to graduate with a
> degree with Business Marketing from Western Michigan Univ. and one of her
> requirements is to take an ''internet marketing'' class. From what she''s told
> me they are trying to have her learn that SPAM is just an evil
> discriminating way to say Internet Marketing( yeah for of all of SPAM-bias
> folk out here who have the wrong idea about SPAM ), and they''ve got
> thousands of these people graduating every 6 months!!

We need a way to make spam cost money if we''re ever going to get our
Internet back. Haven''t figured one out yet.

For physical junk mail I just use the postage paid envelopes as a weapon.

You can put anything in there and send it back, and the
company who spammed you has to pay for it. Plus it feels *good* to pour
a few dozen pieces of household rubbish into the envelope and send it off,
usually woth a little note saying ''since you like junk so much, here''s
some of mine xxx''.

Friends of mine sent a kilo of builders rubble to their bank
after the fifth credit card junk mail in a month :)

--
Support bacteria -- it''s the only culture some people have!

James Britt

Rasputin wrote:

> * Zach Dennis <zdennis@mktec.com> [0944 13:44]:

<snip/>

Please. To prevent this from being the next semi-weekly OT message
flood, can we either take this off-line, or show some Ruby code to
handle spam (or immigration, or anti-immigration, or actor-govenors, or
whatever floats your boat)?

Spam on this list is bad enough. Prolonged OT threads on spam content
makes it worse.

Thanks,

James

Robert Feldt

Rasputin <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu> skrev den Mon, 29 Sep 2003 22:24:19 +0900:

> * Zach Dennis <zdennis@mktec.com> [0944 13:44]:
>> Well if makes you feel any better, my fiance is about to graduate with a
>> degree with Business Marketing from Western Michigan Univ. and one of her
>> requirements is to take an ''internet marketing'' class. From what she''s told
>> me they are trying to have her learn that SPAM is just an evil
>> discriminating way to say Internet Marketing( yeah for of all of SPAM-bias
>> folk out here who have the wrong idea about SPAM ), and they''ve got
>> thousands of these people graduating every 6 months!!
>
> We need a way to make spam cost money if we''re ever going to get our
> Internet back. Haven''t figured one out yet.

http://www.has...

is one crypto proposal that can be used here. There are others.

Basic idea is to impose a CPU cost for each sent email => not really
noticeable for normal users since we don''t send hundreds of mails per second. But if each calc takes say 10 seconds then a spammer
can only send 0.1 mails per second making massmailing costly.
Many caveats of course. Some schemes tries to be independent of
increasing CPU power by utilizing cache mem "timing penalties" instead
of "raw cpu power" algs.

Regards,

Robert

maillist@bestworldweb.homelinux.com

> Spam on this list is bad enough. Prolonged OT threads on spam content
> makes it worse.

And then weekly some suggests that spam should be filtered ;) The SPAM
is filtered. Check the email headers:

Spam assassin is used but unfortunately spammers are getting way to
clever :(

My fault for starting an off topic discussion, sorry guys/gals.