Ruby internals

Thomas Sondergaard

9/29/2003 11:51:00 AM

I'd like to get to better understand how the ruby interpreter works. I have
grabbed the CVS and started rumaging around, but I got to think that someone
must have been here before and may have written a 4-10 page document
covering the architecture, tricks and what not used in the ruby interpreter.

Anyone knows of such a document? Any other pointers to make it easier to
grok the ruby source are also welcome!

Cheers,

Tom

5 Answers

Simon Strandgaard

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:51:21 +0200, Thomas Sondergaard wrote:

> I''d like to get to better understand how the ruby interpreter works. I have
> grabbed the CVS and started rumaging around, but I got to think that someone
> must have been here before and may have written a 4-10 page document
> covering the architecture, tricks and what not used in the ruby interpreter.
>
> Anyone knows of such a document? Any other pointers to make it easier to
> grok the ruby source are also welcome!

The README.EXT distributed with Ruby, gives a short overview
of Rubys code, which files is the core, which is modules.. etc.

I don''t know about other documents. If there exist other documents then I
am also interested in reading them :-)

--
Simon Strandgaard

Mauricio Fernández

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 08:54:59PM +0900, Thomas Sondergaard wrote:
> I''d like to get to better understand how the ruby interpreter works. I have
> grabbed the CVS and started rumaging around, but I got to think that someone
> must have been here before and may have written a 4-10 page document
> covering the architecture, tricks and what not used in the ruby interpreter.
>
> Anyone knows of such a document? Any other pointers to make it easier to
> grok the ruby source are also welcome!

This is the only info I know of on this:

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-...

not a lot but I hope it''s helpful.

--
_ _
| |__ __ _| |_ ___ _ __ ___ __ _ _ __
| ''_ \ / _` | __/ __| ''_ ` _ \ / _` | ''_ \
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

AUTHOR
FvwmAuto just appeared one day, nobody knows how.
-- FvwmAuto(1x)

daz

"Thomas Sondergaard" <thomas@FirstNameGoesHereSondergaard.com> wrote:

> ... someone must have been here before and may have written a
> 4-10 page document covering the architecture, ...
>
> Anyone knows of such a document? Any other pointers to make it easier
> to grok the ruby source are also welcome!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

I can''t remember who said: "A picture is worth a 4-10 page document",
but here''s a sketch I drew to help get an overview of the interaction
between eval and the parser.

Unofficial, you understand (and probably flawed).

http://www.d10.karoo.net/ruby/ruby_interp... (.PNG - 27k)

(Comments expected, but action not guaranteed ;)

daz

Thomas Sondergaard

> http://www.d10.karo.../ruby_interp... (.PNG - 27k)

Neither this

http://www.d10.karo...

nor this

http://www.d10....

is valid. How do I get to see the rest of the slides. I''m just curious to
see what else is there.

Cheers,

Tom

daz

"Thomas Sondergaard" <thomas@FirstNameGoesHereSondergaard.com> wrote:

> > http://www.d10.karo.../ruby_interp... (.PNG - 27k)
>
> Neither this
>
> http://www.d10.karo...
>
> nor this
>
> http://www.d10....
>
> is valid. How do I get to see the rest of the slides. I''m just curious to
> see what else is there.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

There''s no slide-show, sorry -- it''s just a one-off.

''Dream on'' for a Ruby Internals website :-)

daz