Re: GUI for MacOS X?

Rincon

9/28/2003 4:30:00 AM

GNUstep doesn't make Cocoa a cross-platform solution?

On Thursday, September 18, 2003, at 05:34 AM, Lyle Johnson wrote:

> Laurent Sansonetti wrote:
>
>> What about RubyCocoa?
>
> I believe that he's looking for a cross-platform solution, which Cocoa
> is not.

5 Answers

lucsky

Rincon <rinconj@HotPOP.com> wrote:

> GNUstep doesn''t make Cocoa a cross-platform solution?

Cross-platform GUIs are a myth. Period.

--
Luc Heinrich - lucsky@mac.com

Scott Thompson

On Sep 27, 2003, at 11:29 PM, Rincon wrote:

> GNUstep doesn''t make Cocoa a cross-platform solution?

GnuStep would require X11 which, I believe, was also one of the
original poster''s requirements.

Scott

Scott Thompson

On Sep 28, 2003, at 5:11 AM, Luc Heinrich wrote:

> Rincon <rinconj@HotPOP.com> wrote:
>
>> GNUstep doesn''t make Cocoa a cross-platform solution?
>
> Cross-platform GUIs are a myth. Period.
>
> --
> Luc Heinrich - lucsky@mac.com

Amen.

Dan Sugalski

At 7:11 PM +0900 9/28/03, Luc Heinrich wrote:
>Rincon <rinconj@HotPOP.com> wrote:
>
>> GNUstep doesn''t make Cocoa a cross-platform solution?
>
>Cross-platform GUIs are a myth. Period.

Not entirely true -- people have managed to port GUI stuff to
multiple platforms.

The problem is that when you''re doing a cross-platform GUI, you end
up limiting yourself to the things that are common to all the
platforms. And, while everyone does the good things differently, they
all seem to manage to do the same things wrong...
--
Dan

--------------------------------------"it''s like this"-------------------
Dan Sugalski even samurai
dan@sidhe.org have teddy bears and even
teddy bears get drunk

lucsky

Dan Sugalski <dan@sidhe.org> wrote:

> Not entirely true -- people have managed to port GUI stuff to
> multiple platforms.

Of course, but...

> The problem is that when you''re doing a cross-platform GUI, you end
> up limiting yourself to the things that are common to all the
> platforms.

....as you just said, using a cross-platform GUI either limits you to a
lowest common denominator, or makes you introduce concepts and/or
abstractions non native to some platforms.

There is more than just windows and widgets to a GUI, and while you
might be able to end up with a lowest common denominator that *looks*
pretty good, you are likely to also end up with a lowest common
denominator that *feels* terrible on at least one platform.

So yeah, depending on your requirements, you might find that using a
lowest common denominator which will look or feel like crap on at least
one platform is acceptable. As far as I am concerned, there is no such
things as cross-platform GUIs :)

--
Luc Heinrich - lucsky@mac.com