Ruby friendly web hosting

jolsen

9/27/2003 6:42:00 PM

Does anyone have experience with

http://www.n...

as a web host provider? - they claim to support mod_ruby.

I have had too much downtime with my current provider and am considering
to change...again.

Jesper
5 Answers

Lothar Scholz

Hello Jesper,

JO> Does anyone have experience with

JO> http://www.n...

JO> as a web host provider? - they claim to support mod_ruby.

click on the

"Hosting packages starting from $7.50/month"

link and you know why i wouldn''t recommand there service.
A webhosting company should take more care about there own website and
by the way they don''t write how much transfer data (only FTP is
mentioned as unlimited) you get.

--
Best regards,

culley harrelson

http://...

looks promising.

Carl Youngblood

My favorite hosting service is escapebox.net. I get root access to a
virtual FreeBSD server so I can install anything I want. Their support
is great and they are extremely conscientious about security. All this
for $25/month. I could go on and on about how good they are but you
should just check it out.

Carl Youngblood

Jesper Olsen wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with
>
> http://www.n...
>
> as a web host provider? - they claim to support mod_ruby.
>
> I have had too much downtime with my current provider and am considering
> to change...again.
>
> Jesper

Samuel Tesla

You might want to check out my service. It is small, and I give very
personalized support.

http://www.thought...

Cheerio,
Samuel

Raymond C. Fischer, 90 Hunt Way, Campbell, CA 95008; 408-374-1969

been exposed, frequently revert to behavior most similar to a zoo
monkey who sits in the cage throwing feces at passersby but saying
nothing of value.

Raymond C. Fischer (54)
(Louise Fischer)
90 Hunt Way
Campbell, CA 95008
408-374-1969

[][][][][][]
The DemocRAT Hall Of Shame http://www.democrathallof... asks
"Why do you always LIE?"

[Courtesy of Buster Norris]

On 23 Jul 2011 04:10:01 GMT, rfischer@sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>120 years ago

1891....................

>the standard was a 72 hour workweek with NO benefits.
>No sick time, no vacation time, no workplace safety rules.

LIAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the United States, Philadelphia carpenters went on strike in 1791
for the ten-hour day. By the 1830s, this had become a general demand.
In 1835, workers in Philadelphia organized a general strike, led by
Irish coal heavers. Their banners read, From 6 to 6, ten hours work
and two hours for meals. Labor movement publications called for an
eight-hour day as early as 1836. Boston ship carpenters, although not
unionized, achieved an eight-hour day in 1842.

In 1864, the eight-hour day quickly became a central demand of the
Chicago labor movement. The Illinois legislature passed a law in early
1867 granting an eight-hour day but had so many loopholes that it was
largely ineffective. A city-wide strike that began on May 1, 1867 shut
down the city's economy for a week before collapsing. On June 25,
1868, Congress passed an eight-hour law for federal employees which
was also of limited effectiveness. (On May 19, 1869, Grant signed a
National Eight Hour Law Proclamation.)

In August 1866, the National Labor Union at Baltimore passed a
resolution that said, "The first and great necessity of the present to
free labour of this country from capitalist slavery, is the passing of
a law by which eight hours shall be the normal working day in all
States of the American Union. We are resolved to put forth all our
strength until this glorious result is achieved."

During the 1870s, eight hours became a central demand, especially
among labor organizers, with a network of Eight-Hour Leagues which
held rallies and parades. A hundred thousand workers in New York City
struck and won the eight-hour day in 1872, mostly for building trades
workers. In Chicago, Albert Parsons became recording secretary of the
Chicago Eight-Hour League in 1878, and was appointed a member of a
national eight-hour committee in 1880.

At its convention in Chicago in 1884, the Federation of Organized
Trades and Labor Unions resolved that "eight hours shall constitute a
legal day's labour from and after May 1, 1886, and that we recommend
to labour organizations throughout this jurisdiction that they so
direct their laws as to conform to this resolution by the time named."

The leadership of the Knights of Labor, under Terence V. Powderly,
rejected appeals to join the movement as a whole, but many local
Knights assemblies joined the strike call including Chicago,
Cincinnati and Milwaukee. On May 1, 1886, Albert Parsons, head of the
Chicago Knights of Labor, with his wife Lucy Parsons and two children,
led 80,000 people down Michigan Avenue, Chicago, in what is regarded
as the first modern May Day Parade, in support of the eight-hour day.
In the next few days they were joined nationwide by 350,000 workers
who went on strike at 1,200 factories, including 70,000 in Chicago,
45,000 in New York, 32,000 in Cincinnati, and additional thousands in
other cities. Some workers gained shorter hours (eight or nine) with
no reduction in pay; others accepted pay cuts with the reduction in
hours.

The American Federation of Labor, meeting in St Louis in December
1888, set May 1, 1890 as the day that American workers should work no
more than eight hours. The International Workingmen's Association
(Second International), meeting in Paris in 1889, endorsed the date
for international demonstrations, thus starting the international
tradition of May Day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight-hour_day#Uni...

Posted from:
The DemocRATs Hall of Shame!