Fwd: FW: Porting Suggestions: Lucene to Ruby; Perl Text::Balanced

Erik Hatcher

9/27/2003 1:58:00 PM

I was alerted about me being mentioned on ruby-talk, as I was not
subscribed. I'm now here!

rucene, although poorly named (suggestions welcome!), is currently a
bit stalled because of Java Lucene work I'm doing. My eventual goal is
to get the Ruby port to be even more performant than the Java version -
although I suspect this will be difficult to achieve. What is there
now is just the very lowest level file and RAM I/O API which mirrors
the Java API at that level. I've tested Ruby writing and Java reading
and vice versa and it worked. There are lots more layers on top of
this though before its even remotely usable. I'd love others to join
the project! I looked at the archives on this thread and saw someone
had made a start at this already - it would be great to merge efforts
somehow.

Erik

Begin forwarded message:

6 Answers

Robert Feldt

Erik Hatcher <erik@ehatchersolutions.com> skrev den Sat, 27 Sep 2003 22:57:44 +0900:

> I was alerted about me being mentioned on ruby-talk, as I was not subscribed. I''m now here!
>
> rucene, although poorly named (suggestions welcome!), is currently a bit stalled because of

I planned to call mine TextIndexer but I will not have time to finish it
and since you started...

> Java Lucene work I''m doing. My eventual goal is to get the Ruby port to be even more performant >than the Java version - although I suspect this will be difficult to achieve. What is there now >is just the very lowest level file and RAM I/O API which mirrors the Java API at that level. >I''ve tested Ruby writing and Java reading and vice versa and it worked. There are lots more >layers on top of this though before its even remotely usable. I''d love others to join the >project! I looked at the archives on this thread and saw someone had made a start at this >already - it would be great to merge efforts somehow.

I started doing a port earlier this year but then stalled. Sounds like
you got longer than me or about the same so maybe no idea to merge.
When you put some code up I''ll try to add some pieces.

Regards,

Robert

Hal E. Fulton

Erik Hatcher wrote:
> I was alerted about me being mentioned on ruby-talk, as I was not
> subscribed. I''m now here!

This interests me, because I''ve suspected there must be a tool
like this in existence. Too many times I have noticed someone
pop out of nowhere to respond to a reference to his name being
mentioned. (Three I can think of are A****r M****r, P*****k
L***n, and most recently B****e S********p. :)

Rather like accidentally mentioning a demon''s name and thereby
summoning him. But most supernatural entities have to have
their names mentioned thrice in succession, whereas on Usenet,
once is enough.

What''s the scoop on how this alert works, anyway?

Hal

Rasputin

* Hal Fulton <hal9000@hypermetrics.com> [0901 18:01]:
> Erik Hatcher wrote:
> >I was alerted about me being mentioned on ruby-talk, as I was not
> >subscribed. I''m now here!
>
> This interests me, because I''ve suspected there must be a tool
> like this in existence. Too many times I have noticed someone
> pop out of nowhere to respond to a reference to his name being
> mentioned. (Three I can think of are A****r M****r, P*****k
> L***n, and most recently B****e S********p. :)

I only saw the last one,
and assumed that was someone channelling him...

> Rather like accidentally mentioning a demon''s name and thereby
> summoning him. But most supernatural entities have to have
> their names mentioned thrice in succession, whereas on Usenet,
> once is enough.

Are we going to have to start referring to The Other Scripting Language
That Must Not Be Named, then?

> What''s the scoop on how this alert works, anyway?

I assumed it was Google Groups? I prefer the summoning theory however.
Kilfiles versus pentagrams and binding rituals, hmm....

--
Everything journalists write is true, except when they write about
something you know.

Hal E. Fulton

Rasputin wrote:
> * Hal Fulton <hal9000@hypermetrics.com> [0901 18:01]:
>>What''s the scoop on how this alert works, anyway?
>

> I assumed it was Google Groups? I prefer the summoning theory however.
> Kilfiles versus pentagrams and binding rituals, hmm....

Well, I had forgotten about James Parry aka "Kibo" as I have only
heard about him and never encountered him in the real world
(of Usenet).

But his trick far predates dejanews which was bought by Google.
I assume it involves running a filter against a newsfeed.

Hal

Joel VanderWerf

Rasputin wrote:
> Are we going to have to start referring to The Other Scripting Language
> That Must Not Be Named, then?

How about scrambling [ruby-talk:82166]? Hlelo, Bnjrae Susuotrrtp, are
you lsintnieg? Waht are the avtdaganes of Ruby over Prel and Pohtyn?

-- Joel VarWeednrf

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

Hi!

* Joel VanderWerf; 2003-09-27, 22:07 UTC:
> Joel VarWeednrf

Well, this brings up an interesting question on the reordering of
letters in a word: Composita (concatenated words).

The name VanderWerf seems to be of dutch origin - ''van der Werf''.

This only rarely occurs in English but is the way things are in
German - like in the word ''Blitzkrieg'' (I did only choose it because
many speakers of English know it).

It is composed of ''Blitz'' (in this case meaning: taking place very
rapidly) and ''Krieg'' (war). To keep everything readable one should
keep ''B'', ''z'', ''k'', and ''g'' in position and not just ''B'' and ''k''.
This cannot be done automatically - there is no rule for this :-<

Please take notice of signature! / Bitte Signature beachten!

Josef ''Jupp'' Schugt
--
*Warning!* For sending me messages > 100 kB you need my explicit
permission. Otherwise they will be silently discarded.