How abouta standard 'doc' directory?

Gavin Sinclair

9/27/2003 12:35:00 AM

-talk,

When you install a package, the installer (setup.rb/install.rb or a
home-grown variant) typically installs files in the following directories:

$prefix/bin
$prefix/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.x/foo/...
$prefix/share/foo/...

and maybe one or two others, where $prefix is something like
/usr/local or C:/Ruby

What about agreeing on a standard location for installed
documentation?

$prefix/doc/foo/
README
api/
etc...

Many packages come with some documentation and, as far as I know,
don't install them anywhere. The one exception I know of is 'ri'.

We need to define a standard and apply it (update install.rb,
particularly).

Gavin

7 Answers

Jim Freeze

On Saturday, 27 September 2003 at 9:35:00 +0900, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> -talk,
>
> What about agreeing on a standard location for installed
> documentation?
>
> $prefix/doc/foo/
> README
> api/
> etc...

How about

/usr/local/doc/ruby/foo

I see this on OS X and FreeBSD. In fact, on FreeBSD I have

/usr/local/doc/squeak-3.0/
-r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 3642 Dec 26 2001 BUILD.UnixSqueak
-r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 4142 Dec 26 2001 COPYING
-r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 18927 Dec 26 2001 COPYRIGHT
-r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 9745 Dec 26 2001 LICENSE
-r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 14191 Dec 26 2001 README.CodingStandards

--
Jim Freeze
----------

Joel VanderWerf

Jim Freeze wrote:
> On Saturday, 27 September 2003 at 9:35:00 +0900, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
>
>>-talk,
>>
>>What about agreeing on a standard location for installed
>>documentation?
>>
>> $prefix/doc/foo/
>> README
>> api/
>> etc...
>>

> How about
>
> /usr/local/doc/ruby/foo

I don''t know how it got there, but I''ve already got:

$ ls /usr/local/share/doc/ruby
optparse-0.10.1/

Gavin Sinclair

On Saturday, September 27, 2003, 10:46:16 AM, Jim wrote:

> On Saturday, 27 September 2003 at 9:35:00 +0900, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
>> -talk,
>>
>> What about agreeing on a standard location for installed
>> documentation?
>>
>> $prefix/doc/foo/
>> README
>> api/
>> etc...
>>

> How about

> /usr/local/doc/ruby/foo

Sorry, that''s what I meant.

Currently, I have

$ ls /usr/local/doc/ruby/
ri-1.8b ruby-1.8.0

And Joel mentioned optparse. I know ri uses a home-grown installer,
and optparse is now standard library, but I''ll see if I can find out
how it might get there.

It''s pretty common for documentation directories, in particular, to
have version numbers associated. Is that something we would want to
expect with ruby packages?

Gavin

Rasputin

* Joel VanderWerf <vjoel@PATH.Berkeley.EDU> [0902 02:02]:
> Jim Freeze wrote:
> >On Saturday, 27 September 2003 at 9:35:00 +0900, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

> >>What about agreeing on a standard location for installed
> >>documentation?

> >> $prefix/doc/foo/
> >> README
> >> api/
> >> etc...

> >How about
> >
> > /usr/local/doc/ruby/foo

> I don''t know how it got there, but I''ve already got:
>
> $ ls /usr/local/share/doc/ruby
> optparse-0.10.1/

If you use the ports system, it''ll create docs and examples directories,
but that''s something the FreeBSD guys are adding in (I know because I
committed about a dozen NetBSD packages and did the same thing).

--
When a Banker jumps out of a window, jump after him -- that''s where the
money is.

Jim Freeze

On Saturday, 27 September 2003 at 11:46:28 +0900, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> On Saturday, September 27, 2003, 10:46:16 AM, Jim wrote:
>
> Currently, I have
>
> $ ls /usr/local/doc/ruby/
> ri-1.8b ruby-1.8.0
>
> And Joel mentioned optparse. I know ri uses a home-grown installer,
> and optparse is now standard library, but I''ll see if I can find out
> how it might get there.
>
> It''s pretty common for documentation directories, in particular, to
> have version numbers associated. Is that something we would want to
> expect with ruby packages?

Yes

--
Jim Freeze
----------

Gavin Sinclair

On Sunday, September 28, 2003, 1:57:22 AM, Jim wrote:

> On Saturday, 27 September 2003 at 11:46:28 +0900, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
>> On Saturday, September 27, 2003, 10:46:16 AM, Jim wrote:
>>
>> Currently, I have
>>
>> $ ls /usr/local/doc/ruby/
>> ri-1.8b ruby-1.8.0
>>
>> And Joel mentioned optparse. I know ri uses a home-grown installer,
>> and optparse is now standard library, but I''ll see if I can find out
>> how it might get there.
>>
>> It''s pretty common for documentation directories, in particular, to
>> have version numbers associated. Is that something we would want to
>> expect with ruby packages?
>>

> Yes

OK. Nobody has said that we shouldn''t have such a standard, nor that
such a standard should be in some way different, so I suppose we have
two important steps:

1. Engineer mkconfig.rb so that the following line appears in
rbconfig.rb:

CONFIG["rubydocdir"] = "$(prefix)/doc/ruby"

On my Cygwin build, that will evaluate to /usr/local/doc/ruby.
On my Windows build, that will evaluate to
D:/Software/ruby/doc/ruby.

2. Ask Minero Aoki to make use of this in setup.rb/install.rb:

Given
foo/install.rb
foo/doc/README
foo/VERSION (contains "1.5b")

Then
cd foo
ruby install.rb {config|setup|install}

Produces
/usr/local/doc/ruby/foo-1.5b/README

That idea of a "VERSION" file is something I just thought of, and I''m
sure someone will think of something better.

After some time for comments on this list (read: I''m about to go out
for the rest of the day) I''ll submit an RCR for the first point above.

Regards,
Gavin

djberg96

Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> -talk,
>
> When you install a package, the installer (setup.rb/install.rb or a
> home-grown variant) typically installs files in the following
directories:

> $prefix/bin
> $prefix/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.x/foo/...
> $prefix/share/foo/...
>
> and maybe one or two others, where $prefix is something like
> /usr/local or C:/Ruby
>
> What about agreeing on a standard location for installed
> documentation?
>
> $prefix/doc/foo/
> README
> api/
> etc...
>
> Many packages come with some documentation and, as far as I know,
> don't install them anywhere. The one exception I know of is 'ri'.
>
> We need to define a standard and apply it (update install.rb,
> particularly).
>
> Gavin

Will this ever be added? Please?

Regards,