Re: Focusing more on Ruby ... Windows ver?

Nathaniel Talbott

9/26/2003 3:14:00 PM

Ron Jeffries [mailto:ronjeffries@REMOVEacm.org] wrote:

> OK, after this C# book is over, I'll be getting back into
> Ruby more. It's more fun in a number of ways.
>
> Martin Fowler, who got me using XSLT, has begun doing more of
> his site generation in Ruby, and frankly I'm feeling the same
> pain that he describes, so I will surely be doing the same.
>
> As I am a Windows user ... [pause for the booing to die down]
> ... I'm looking for an easy and stable install for that
> platform. What's my best bet?

http://rubyinstaller.source... is pretty solid and well-used. I
personally prefer to compile Ruby myself on Windows using MSVC, but I'm just
like that.

HTH,

Nathaniel

<:((><

4 Answers

Ron Jeffries

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 00:13:43 +0900, "Nathaniel Talbott"
<nathaniel@NOSPAMtalbott.ws> wrote:

>http://rubyinstaller.source... is pretty solid and well-used. I
>personally prefer to compile Ruby myself on Windows using MSVC, but I''m just
>like that.

Yes, you are, Nathaniel. I hope you''re having fun ...

Thanks to you and to Lyle!

--
Ronald E Jeffries
http://www.XProgr...

Hal E. Fulton

Ron Jeffries wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 00:13:43 +0900, "Nathaniel Talbott"
> <nathaniel@NOSPAMtalbott.ws> wrote:
>

>>http://rubyinstaller.source... is pretty solid and well-used. I
>>personally prefer to compile Ruby myself on Windows using MSVC, but I''m just
>>like that.
>

> Yes, you are, Nathaniel. I hope you''re having fun ...
>
> Thanks to you and to Lyle!

Now that you''re getting back into Ruby, you should <plug>come to
the conference in Austin in November</plug>, which is only about
48 days off now.

OT: How is C#? Should I learn it? I''m starting to see jobs
related to it...

Cheers,
Hal

Joey Gibson

On 9/26/2003 3:40 PM, Hal Fulton wrote:

> Now that you''re getting back into Ruby, you should <plug>come to
> the conference in Austin in November</plug>, which is only about
> 48 days off now.

I''ve registered and made my hotel reservations already. Now if airfare
would come down about another $50 I could fly from Atlanta to Austin
instead of driving...

> OT: How is C#? Should I learn it? I''m starting to see jobs
> related to it...

I actually rather like C#, although I prefer Ruby above all else. I work
in Java all day (and have been doing so since 1996) and it has some
things that Java doesn''t that make things easier. Specifically the fact
that primitives are essentially first class (not really, but from the
developer''s perspective they are) and you can shove them into
collections instead of having to wrap them yourself, send literal
numbers messages, that kind of thing. C# also has a nice delegation
model (Dave thinks so as well) which is one of the reasons for the
MS/Sun split over Java. Of course I''d rather write Ruby code (or
Smalltalk or Lisp) to be perfectly honest... :-)

Joey

--
Dean saor, dean saor an spiorad. Is seinn d''orain beo.

http://www.joeygibso...
http://www.joeygibso.../life/Wisdom.html

Ron Jeffries

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 04:40:32 +0900, Hal Fulton <hal9000@hypermetrics.com> wrote:

>Now that you''re getting back into Ruby, you should <plug>come to
>the conference in Austin in November</plug>, which is only about
>48 days off now.

It''d be fun, but I think not this time ... lots of other things to do then, and
I probably won''t get to do them either!

>OT: How is C#? Should I learn it? I''m starting to see jobs
>related to it...

It''s better than Java IMO, and of course .NET is a very interesting idea. I''m
rather liking it, but not as well as Ruby or Smalltalk, by a wide margin.

Have fun,