Re: TCPSocket.gethostbyname difficulties

Nathaniel Talbott

9/26/2003 2:29:00 PM

Peter Triller [mailto:sentinel27@gmx.de] wrote:

> Well, this domains just dont have a reverse DNS entry. Thats
> not a ruby problem, but a DNS problem.

TCPSocket#gethostbyname is somehow dependent on there being a reverse DNS
entry? That seems strange.

> and this is not really broken. it is not mandatory for an IP
> address to have a mapping to a domain naime IIRC.
>
> and even if it exists it could be totally different from the
> original domain, as you can map lots of domains to an IP address.

Right. So I still don't understand why lookup is failing in Ruby for some
hosts that other programs can lookup OK. Apparently it's related to the
reverse DNS entry (or lack thereof), but why?

Thanks,

Nathaniel

<:((><