Re: TCPSocket.gethostbyname difficulties

Nathaniel Talbott

9/26/2003 1:28:00 PM

ts [mailto:decoux@moulon.inra.fr] wrote:

> N> Does anyone know how to get this to work?
>
> Ask them to correctly register the address, it's a .COM no ?

Unfortunately any conceivable host could be thrown at the system I'm working
on, so that's not really an option.

> svg% host noblepack.com
> noblepack.com has address 205.178.141.161
> svg%
>
> svg% host 205.178.141.161
> Host 161.141.178.205.in-addr.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
> svg%

So how come my browser can find it? Can I duplicate in Ruby whatever it is
the browser's doing to get to find the host?

Thanks,

Nathaniel

<:((><

1 Answer

ts

N> Unfortunately any conceivable host could be thrown at the system I''m working
N> on, so that''s not really an option.

Your original question

N> I''m trying to use TCPSocket.gethostbyname to verify that a given domain
N> actually exists in DNS.

you can''t, just try

moulon% host xxxxyyyyttttuuu.com
xxxxyyyyttttuuu.com has address 64.94.110.11
moulon%

moulon% host aaazertyuiop.com
aaazertyuiop.com has address 64.94.110.11
moulon%

Guy Decoux