Re: Adding, removing and redefining features at runtime

Mark Wilson

9/26/2003 3:22:00 AM

On Thursday, September 25, 2003, at 09:04 PM, Thomas Sondergaard wrote:

> [snip]

> Or is it inherently wrong and should not be
> permitted by the language/object model?
>
> [snip]

I also look forward to reading the article. Your question also gives me
a chance to post a quote I ran across the other day (which I'm certain
is familiar to many, but is new to me):

"[M]any computer scientists have fallen into the trap of trying to
define languages like George Orwell's Newspeak, in which it is
impossible to think bad thoughts. What they end up doing is killing
the creativity of programming."
Larry Wall
http://www.wall.org/~larry/keynote/ke...

The above expresses my own thoughts as to the language. On the object
model question, I agree with the views of others that you do have to be
careful.

Regards,

Mark

2 Answers

Thomas Sondergaard

> "[M]any computer scientists have fallen into the trap of trying to
> define languages like George Orwell''s Newspeak, in which it is
> impossible to think bad thoughts. What they end up doing is killing
> the creativity of programming."
> Larry Wall
> http://www.wall.org/~larry/keynote/ke...

I really like that! However, there is another thing to consider. In non-open
source compiled languages resolving a namespace conflict is a bigger issues
than it is with open source scripts. After all, if it bites you change it,
right?

Might partially explain why languages like ruby, python etc have made
different design decisions here.

Cheers,

Thomas

David Moffitt

"Kevin Cunningham" <smskjc@mindspring.com> wrote in message
On Sep 8, 2:12 am, "David Moffitt" <dmoff...@stomping-leftist-
twits.org> wrote:
> "Rich Hutnik" <richardhut...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Sep 7, 10:30 pm, WE GOT YOUR CHANGE
>
> <progressive_libertar...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hussein Obama is clearly damaged goods, at this point.
>
> > He was on national television this morning, obviously not even capable
> > of thinking clearly.
>
> > He's certainly not mentally stable enough for the presidency.
>
> > It's questionable, if he should even be dog catcher.
>
> > But his withdrawal would obviously raise some problems for
> > democrats...
>
> > Who would Biden pick, to run with?...
>
> I am not sure if he would pick McCain, who said we should be able to
> deliver "bottled hot water to dehydrated
> babies":http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9...
>
> %%%% Would you give bottled ice water to babies?
>
> Not sure Tom Ridge either, who said "John Bush" is "very much his own
> man":http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T...
>
> %%%% Is that anything like Ted Kennedy's "Osama Obama"?
>
> How about people stop with these slips of the tongue making a mountain
> out of them?
>
> %%%% Freudian slips.
>
> We could go on, showing how Palin addressed a secessionist political
> party in Alaska:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z...
>
> %%%% Of course she did, thwe convention was being held in the town where
> she
> was Mayor.
>
> "Your party plays an important role in Alaskan politics". They
> believe in upholding the ALASKAN constitution. The U.S constitution
> doesn't matter.
>
> %%%% I believe in upholding my States Constitution. Remember it is the
> United STATES of America.
>
> Or, there is a real nice ditty from Palin's pastor which says God is
> going to punish America:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P...
>
> %%%% Obama's pastor wants God to DAMN America.
>
> " I might add that in small towns, we don't quite know what to make of a
> candidate who lavishes praise on working people when they are listening,
> and
> then talks about how bitterly they cling to their religion and guns when
> those people aren't listening.
> We tend to prefer candidates who don't talk about us one way in Scranton
> and
> another way in San Francisco."
> -- Sarah Palin September 04, 2008
>
> - Rich
would thta be sarah trailer park vlues Palin you are quoting by any
chace

%%%% Poor child, all you can do is sling ad-hominem.