Re: Porting Suggestions: Lucene to Ruby; Perl Text::Balanced

Austin Ziegler

9/25/2003 10:26:00 PM

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 01:48:23 +0900, Mark Wilson wrote:
> I also have the same interest in Perl's Text::Balanced module.
> Information available here:
>
> http://search.cpan.org/author/DCONWAY/Text-Balanced-1.95...
> Balanced.pm

I am ... fitfully working on Text::Balanced. It's difficult because it's
*very* idiomatic Perl and depends on a feature (pos and \G) that there are
ways to emulate in Ruby, but nothing that quite works the same way.

I have some work I'm doing on Ruwiki to make it a Webrick servlet, and then
I think I'm going to try to approach this again.

-austin
--
austin ziegler * austin@halostatue.ca * Toronto, ON, Canada
* 18.23.39

1 Answer

Michael Granger

On Sep 25, 2003, at 4:26 PM, Austin Ziegler wrote:

> I am ... fitfully working on Text::Balanced. It''s difficult because
> it''s
> *very* idiomatic Perl and depends on a feature (pos and \G) that there
> are
> ways to emulate in Ruby, but nothing that quite works the same way.

I have a port of Text::Balanced that I made for an experimental port of
Parse:RecDescent if you (or anyone else) are interested:

http://dev.faeriemud.org/~deveiant/RecDescentP...
DelimScanner.rb?dl=1

It''s implemented as a subclass of Minero Aoki''s excellent ''strscan''
module.

--
Michael Granger <ged@FaerieMUD.org>
Rubymage, Believer, Architect