Porting Suggestions: Lucene to Ruby; Perl Text::Balanced

Mark Wilson

9/25/2003 4:48:00 PM

If someone has the skill and interest, I think a port or adaptation of
the Lucene search program to Ruby would be very nice to have. I have
the interest but not the skill.

Information about Lucene can be found at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/...

I also have the same interest in Perl's Text::Balanced module.
Information available here:

http://search.cpan.org/author/DCONWAY/Text-Balanced-1.95...
Balanced.pm

Regards,

Mark

2 Answers

Tom Copeland

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 12:48, Mark Wilson wrote:
> If someone has the skill and interest, I think a port or adaptation of
> the Lucene search program to Ruby would be very nice to have. I have
> the interest but not the skill.
>
> Information about Lucene can be found at:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/...

There''s rucene:

http://rubyforge.org/projec...

But I''m not sure how far Erik has gotten with it yet...

Yours,

tom

Robert Feldt

Tom Copeland <tom@infoether.com> skrev den Fri, 26 Sep 2003 03:07:15 +0900:

> On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 12:48, Mark Wilson wrote:
>> If someone has the skill and interest, I think a port or adaptation of the Lucene search program to Ruby would be very nice to have. I have the interest but not the skill.
>>
>> Information about Lucene can be found at:
>>
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/...
>
> There''s rucene:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/projec...
>
> But I''m not sure how far Erik has gotten with it yet...

I also have a start of a port but not the time to complete it.
If someone intends to work on a Ruby lucene I can probably
dig it out and pass the code over. Don''t remember how close to complete it is.

Lucene is powerful stuff. For many needs I think a Ruby Lucene
to index objects that are then saved in a straight array
(or via Madeleine + cache) would beat SQL db solutions any day.
I''ve never quite understood why you should have to prespecify
the form of your db objects. Why not allow max flexibility
and simple do deep indexing with something &#224; la Lucene? (Well, I *can* think of some reasons but for the general case... ;) )

Regards,

Robert