exerb problem - dll not found

Berger, Daniel

9/24/2003 9:08:00 PM

Hi all,

Ruby 1.6.8
Windows XP Pro
exerb 2.6.7

I recently was able to successfully build an exe on my own XP Pro box and it
worked fine. This application includes Ruby packages that are C extensions.
I gave it to a co-worker to test on his XP Pro box and he got this error:

"This application has failed to start because MSVCR70.dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this problem".

Now, I do have VC++ 7 on this box, and I'm assuming that's where the dll
came from. My question is, why does it need this dll? Is it because of the
C extensions? Or did I build it badly? Is there a way around this or will
I simply have to distribute the dll with the exe file as part of a
distribution?

Any and all help appreciated.

Regards,

Dan
2 Answers

Vassilis Rizopoulos

Berger, Daniel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Ruby 1.6.8
> Windows XP Pro
> exerb 2.6.7
>
> I recently was able to successfully build an exe on my own XP Pro box
> and it worked fine. This application includes Ruby packages that are C
> extensions. I gave it to a co-worker to test on his XP Pro box and he
> got this error:
>
> "This application has failed to start because MSVCR70.dll was not
> found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem".
>
> Now, I do have VC++ 7 on this box, and I''m assuming that''s where the dll
> came from. My question is, why does it need this dll? Is it because of
> the C extensions? Or did I build it badly? Is there a way around this
> or will I simply have to distribute the dll with the exe file as part of
> a distribution?

msvcr*.dll and msvcrt.dll are the runtime libraries for windows.
You either redistribute them, link statically or do it with VC++6.0
whose runtime is in all installations of Win98 or later.
I don''t know anythign about exerb (something I need to rectify), but
check to see if it will allow you to built statically.
Cheers,
V.-

http://www.f... - ?????? ???????? ???????????? ????????????.
http://www.f... - free email service for the Greek-speaking.

Lyle Johnson

Berger, Daniel wrote:

> I recently was able to successfully build an exe on my own XP Pro box
> and it worked fine. This application includes Ruby packages that are C
> extensions. I gave it to a co-worker to test on his XP Pro box and he
> got this error:
>
> "This application has failed to start because MSVCR70.dll was not
> found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem".
>
> Now, I do have VC++ 7 on this box, and I''m assuming that''s where the dll
> came from. My question is, why does it need this dll?

MSVCRT70.DLL is the C runtime library. You can think of it as the
equivalent of, say, libc.so on a Linux system (maybe Solaris too).

> Is it because of the C extensions?

Yes ;)

> Or did I build it badly?

Not very familiar with exerb, but I doubt this indicates that you did
anything wrong. exerb probably just doesn''t bundle dependencies such as
this one into its archive.

> Is there a way around this or will I simply have to distribute the dll
> with the exe file as part of a distribution?

I think the latter. You want to make sure that this DLL is somewhere in
the user''s PATH.