Is Rockit abandoned?

leikind

9/23/2003 1:28:00 PM

Hello all,

Looks like Rockit, the OO parser generator for Ruby, is abandoned.

It doesn't work with its own examples:

leikind@pc324:~/rockit-0-3-8/examples/calculator$ ruby calculator.rb
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/rockit/rockit.rb:24:in
`generate_parser': undefined local variable or method
`rockit_grammars_parser' for Parse:Module (NameError)
from calculator.rb:36:in `calculator_parser'
from calculator.rb:52

And some others have had similar troubles:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&inlang=ru&selm=3F30F549.6090601%40chad...

Anyone worked with Rockit recently?

Best regards,
Yuri Leikind
4 Answers

Robert Feldt

Yuri Leikind <leikind@mova.org> skrev den Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:33:42 +0900:

> Hello all,

Hi,

> Looks like Rockit, the OO parser generator for Ruby, is abandoned.

Its been abandoned for some 2 years but I''m now working on it again.
Instead of fixing the old version I''ve decided to do a new one
with a C backend. Expect release in 3 weeks.

Sorry for the bad support these 2 years,

Robert Feldt

Jim Freeze

On Tuesday, 23 September 2003 at 23:24:28 +0900, Robert Feldt wrote:
> Yuri Leikind <leikind@mova.org> skrev den Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:33:42 +0900:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> Hi,
>
> > Looks like Rockit, the OO parser generator for Ruby, is abandoned.
> >
> Its been abandoned for some 2 years but I''m now working on it again.
> Instead of fixing the old version I''ve decided to do a new one
> with a C backend. Expect release in 3 weeks.

Hmm, do I smell speed?

--
Jim Freeze
----------

Its Me

Does / will Rockit support scannerless parsing? i.e. allow me to combine 2
separate grammars (e.g. Cobol and SQL) and not have a lexer that imposes
Cobol keywords as restricted words in the SQL sub-expressions?

Thanks ...

"Robert Feldt" <feldt@ce.chalmers.se> wrote in message
> Yuri Leikind <leikind@mova.org> skrev den Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:33:42 +0900:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> Hi,
>
> > Looks like Rockit, the OO parser generator for Ruby, is abandoned.
> >
> Its been abandoned for some 2 years but I''m now working on it again.
> Instead of fixing the old version I''ve decided to do a new one
> with a C backend. Expect release in 3 weeks.
>
> Sorry for the bad support these 2 years,
>
> Robert Feldt

Robert Feldt

Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org> skrev den Wed, 24 Sep 2003 00:03:26 +0900:

>> Its been abandoned for some 2 years but I''m now working on it again.
>> Instead of fixing the old version I''ve decided to do a new one
>> with a C backend. Expect release in 3 weeks.
>
> Hmm, do I smell speed?

Its not top prio but parsing is one of these things
were speed really can matter so yes, I think it will have
enough of it to be generally useful.

My goal now is to generate a Ruby C extension that gives
a parser. I think for many uses this will be good enough.
Long-term, yes, a pure-Ruby solution as an option would
be good (especially to experiment with intelligent
error reporting which is much harder in C) but don''t
expect it anytime soon.

Regards,

Robert