ruby-dev summary 21381-21402

TAKAHASHI Masayoshi

Gavin Sinclair

> [From Takahashi-san]
>
> [ruby-dev:21383] devel/logger
>
> During a preparation for commiting SOAP4R, NaHi found that
> the name Devel::Logger is not appropriate for the standard
> distribution, so he renamed the name of the class to Logger
> (lib/logger.rb). In addition, he contacted Gotoyuzo and made
> an agreement on merging Devel::Logger and WEBrick::Log.
> Moreover, he added some methods for compatibility with Log4r.

I was pleased to see lib/logger.rb in the stdlib recently. Although it''s
nice to have Log4r available, it''s just as nice to have a simple logger
built-in.

I''d like to hear more about the merging etc. NaHi?

Gavin

NAKAMURA, Hiroshi

Hi, Gavin,

I don''t remember clearly what Matz or someone call this but,
at least I don''t want to call it "std" lib. Though lib/logger.rb will be
released with ruby, it is not standardized. Without any standardization
process (I don''t know this word is correct English word), I only add a
file to /src/ruby/lib for soap4r. Word "bundled lib" sounds suitable
for me.

> nice to have Log4r available, it''s just as nice to have a simple logger
> built-in.
> I''d like to hear more about the merging etc. NaHi?

I think log4r could be "bundled lib", too. There''s no "standard" logger
lib for ruby for now.

lib/logger.rb is enough for my logging usage for now
so I don''t have any opinion about bundling it. Since no log
inheritance and build-in remote logging feature in lib/logger.rb,
I believe there should be many developers who want to use
log4r without installing it by oneself.

Make an appeal to matz how it useful, same as REXML, YAML
and so on.

Regards,
// NaHi

maillist@bestworldweb.homelinux.com

> [ruby-dev:21394] Per-Thread stdout needed
>
> Tietew wanted to make $stdin, $stdout and $stderr thread-local and
> made a patch for it. Matz thought more considerations are needed
> for $stdin and others, but he doesn''t have any conclusions now.

What about $_, $1 , $2...$x

Mauricio Fernández

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 08:27:59AM +0900, maillist@bestworldweb.homelinux.com wrote:

> > [ruby-dev:21394] Per-Thread stdout needed
> >
> > Tietew wanted to make $stdin, $stdout and $stderr thread-local and
> > made a patch for it. Matz thought more considerations are needed
> > for $stdin and others, but he doesn''t have any conclusions now.
>
> What about $_, $1 , $2...$x

$~ is already thread-local IIRC.

--
_ _
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

How do I type "for i in *.dvi do xdvi $i done" in a GUI?
-- Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc on the intuitiveness of interfaces