Re: Ruby package for Linux

Thomas Adam

9/22/2003 5:57:00 PM

--- Jim Menard <jimm@io.com> wrote: > Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org> writes:

> > On Tuesday, 23 September 2003 at 1:49:04 +0900, Thomas Adam wrote:
> > > --- Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org> wrote: > Ok, I know nothing about
> linux
> > > packages.

> > > Depends on the distro, Jim (which you didn't say). The lack of
> information
> > > is appauling. If you're using Debian Testing/Stable then I can say
> for
> > > sure that there is.
> > >

> > Like I said, I know nothing. I think the distro is Red Hat 7.1, but
> > I don't know how to get the machine to tell me.
> >
> > > Mind you, I'd be more inclined to download the source and compile it
> > > yourself.
>
> Jim,

Sigh....

> I just installed 1.8.0. All you have to do is grab the source from
> ruby-lang.org and type "configure", "make", and "make install". (You may
> have to be root or use the "sudo" command to perform the install.)

Nope. Sudo would require configuring first of all, and as Jim is a newbie,
I doubt that has been done yet. The steps I would take is:

``

cd $HOME && mkdir ./tmp
cp ./ruby-1.8.0.tar.gz ./tmp && cd ./tmp
tar xzvf ./ruby-1.8.0.tar.gz
cd ./ruby-*
./configure && make && su -c'make install'

''

HTH,

-- Thomas Adam

=====
Thomas Adam

"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- www.linuxgazette.com

Messenger http://mail.messenger.y...

2 Answers

Jim Freeze

On Tuesday, 23 September 2003 at 2:56:56 +0900, Thomas Adam wrote:
> --- Jim Menard <jimm@io.com> wrote: > Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org> writes:

> > linux
>

> Nope. Sudo would require configuring first of all, and as Jim is a newbie,
> I doubt that has been done yet. The steps I would take is:

I''m only a newbie to Linux packages. I have built Ruby many times
from source, for Linux, Sun and FreeBSD. What I don''t know about
is linux packages, hence the questions.

--
Jim Freeze
----------

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

Saluton!

* Jim Freeze; 2003-09-22, 18:28 UTC:
> I''m only a newbie to Linux packages. I have built Ruby many times
> from source, for Linux, Sun and FreeBSD. What I don''t know about is
> linux packages, hence the questions.

Butler: ''The same procedure as with last Unix?''
Lady: ''The same procedure as with every Unix.''

Adopted from ''Dinner for One'' shown every year''s end in German
television since... Hmm, well, since a time before I was born >;->

Gis,

Josef ''Jupp'' Schugt