Martin Fowler and Ruby

Weirich, James

9/22/2003 5:49:00 PM

Here's an interesting link...

http://martinfowler.com/bliki/MovingAwayFro...
<http://martinfowler.com/bliki/MovingAwayFro...>

--
-- Jim Weirich / Compuware
-- FWP Capture Services
-- Phone: 859-386-8855

6 Answers

Sean O'Dell

Weirich, James wrote:
> Here''s an interesting link...
>
> http://martinfowler.com/bliki/MovingAwayFro...
> <http://martinfowler.com/bliki/MovingAwayFro...>

Not only do I concur with Mr. Fowler''s view of XSLT and dropped it a
long time ago, but I feel similar chaffing at XML itself and am adopting
YAML for a time to see if I can get even more relief.

Sean O''Dell

Gour

Weirich, James (James.Weirich@FMR.COM) wrote:

> Here''s an interesting link...
>
> http://martinfowler.com/bliki/MovingAwayFro...
> <http://martinfowler.com/bliki/MovingAwayFro...>

Do you have some other interesting URL about replacing XSLT with Ruby for
transforming XML sources?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Gour
gour@mail.inet.hr

James Britt

Gour wrote:
> Weirich, James (James.Weirich@FMR.COM) wrote:
>

>>Here''s an interesting link...
>>
>> http://martinfowler.com/bliki/MovingAwayFro...
>><http://martinfowler.com/bliki/MovingAwayFro...>
>

> Do you have some other interesting URL about replacing XSLT with Ruby for
> transforming XML sources?

I wrote an article on how I used REXML''s stream parser to populate
templates from an MXL dccument:
http://www.rubyxml.com/articles/REXML/Stream_Parsing_...

James Britt

> Sincerely,
> Gour

Gour

James Britt (jamesUNDERBARb@seemyemail.com) wrote:

> I wrote an article on how I used REXML''s stream parser to populate
> templates from an MXL dccument:
> http://www.rubyxml.com/articles/REXML/Stream_Parsing_...

Thanks. Nice reading.

What do you think about using the same technology for transforming DocBook
documents into Latex-like ones?

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour wrote:

> James Britt (jamesUNDERBARb@seemyemail.com) wrote:
>

>>I wrote an article on how I used REXML''s stream parser to populate
>>templates from an MXL dccument:
>>http://www.rubyxml.com/articles/REXML/Stream_Parsing_...
>

> Thanks. Nice reading.

Thanks.

> What do you think about using the same technology for transforming DocBook
> documents into Latex-like ones?

I''m not that familiar with Latex, but from what I understand it should
be quite doable. The difficulty may reside in how much (or little) the
two formats map to each other.

In Rimport I use a somewhat different approach (perhaps similar to what
Fowler describes) where the code manually walks the tree, passing
elements and subtrees off to dynamically-invoked methods based on
element name and context. This may give you better control that
straight stream parsing, plus it saves you the trouble of having to
build your own subtrees.

James Britt
james_b AT neurogami DOT com

> Sincerely,
> Gour

Gour

James Britt (jamesUNDERBARb@seemyemail.com) wrote:

> I''m not that familiar with Latex, but from what I understand it should
> be quite doable. The difficulty may reside in how much (or little) the
> two formats map to each other.

This doesn''t bother me too much since it''s always possible to map some
DocBook tags in some LaTeX-like equivalent. Actually, I''m thinking about
ConTeXt package.

> In Rimport I use a somewhat different approach (perhaps similar to what
> Fowler describes) where the code manually walks the tree, passing
> elements and subtrees off to dynamically-invoked methods based on
> element name and context. This may give you better control that
> straight stream parsing, plus it saves you the trouble of having to
> build your own subtrees.

Thank you for pointing me at Rimport. I''ll take a look in order to learn
something :D

Sincerely,
Gour