Re: Ruby package for Linux

Thomas Adam

9/22/2003 5:49:00 PM

--- Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 23 September 2003 at 2:32:08 +0900, Thomas Adam wrote:
> > --- Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org> wrote: > On Tuesday, 23 September
> 2003 at

> This one did the trick:
>
> Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla)
> Kernel \r on an \m

:) Thought it might.

> > Will help ascertain this. If it is RH, try issuing:
> >
> > ``
> > rpm -qa | grep -i ruby
> > ''
>
> rpm -q ruby
> ruby-1.6.7-2

OK.

> Does Linux have a remote way to query what packages are
> available or a URL with a listing?

http://r...

But in anycase, just download ruby-1.8.0 from source and compile it. The
instructions are in the README file.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
Thomas Adam

"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- www.linuxgazette.com

Messenger http://mail.messenger.y...

2 Answers

Jim Freeze

On Tuesday, 23 September 2003 at 2:48:36 +0900, Thomas Adam wrote:

> http://r...

Thanks for the link.

> But in anycase, just download ruby-1.8.0 from source and compile it. The
> instructions are in the README file.

Boy, what a mess linux is with its multiple versions.
I think you are right. I''m not sure I can rely on a package,
especially when I need to keep a Sun version and a Linux
version in sync.

--
Jim Freeze
----------

Jim Freeze

On Tuesday, 23 September 2003 at 3:31:04 +0900, Jim Freeze wrote:
> On Tuesday, 23 September 2003 at 2:48:36 +0900, Thomas Adam wrote:
> >
> > http://r...
> >

> Thanks for the link.
>
> > But in anycase, just download ruby-1.8.0 from source and compile it. The
> > instructions are in the README file.
> >

> Boy, what a mess linux is with its multiple versions.
----------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^ make that
distro''s.
> I think you are right. I''m not sure I can rely on a package,
> especially when I need to keep a Sun version and a Linux
> version in sync.
>

> --
> Jim Freeze
> A bird in the hand makes it awfully hard to blow your nose.

--
Jim Freeze
"I am the mother of all things, and all things should wear a sweater."