MMIT 1.0 does not work with WinCE 2002

Michael Caron

3/7/2002 4:59:00 PM

Again! I am frustrated with Microsoft for promising and marketing that which
does not work. The Mobile Internet Toolkit DOES NOT WORK with the latest
version of Microsoft Windows CE (2002).

1. The Calendar control does not function whatsoever.
2. Any Command controls which have view set to "Link" do not work whatsoever
3. IE on CE does not support multiple forms on one page whatsoever.

If your experiance is contrary to this, I'd love to hear about it. So far,
my opinion of Microsoft "supporting" mobile devices with .NET is utterly
crappy.

Thanks but no thanks,
Mike Caron
frustrated in Berlin.

4 Answers

(Joseph Croney (MSFT))

Michael Caron

Joseph,

Sorry about my ranting. Here's the situation.

I have some code I developed on .NET with the MMIT for OpenWave browsers on
mobile phones (of course, it works with other phones as well). I then
thought, I ought to try this out on the CE platform, to see if it works with
out changes. So I downloaded the Win CE tools (both emulators for CE211 and
CE300). Neither emulators did anything when I clicked on a command or a link
to take me to another form on the same page. Then I changed the commands
from "link" display to "button" display and the commands seemed to work.
However, links to other forms on the same page still did not work. So then I
separated all the forms into their own pages and things seemed to work.
Finally, I used the calendar control and when I clicked on a date in the
control, nothing happened. Again, this is all with the emulator. That
frustrated me big time.

Today, I got my hands on a real Compaq Ipaq running CE 3.0 (I believe that's
2002). It starts up with the Today screen and everything. Then I went to my
.NET mobile application, and I click on a command that is in "link" form and
voila...it works! I thought something must be wrong (I did not change any
code). So I tried a link to another form on the same page...and voila I'm
taken to that form! I then tried the calendar control and bam! it worked!

What is the deal here? Why does it work on a real device, but not the
emulator? Isn't that a bit sad that the tool that most developers will be
using to develop on doesn't render the pages correctly or work
appropriately, but the real devices do?

Please tell me if I'm going wrong somewhere. But from now on, it seems that
I need a real device to test applications on if I am going to develop for
CE.

Mike Caron

"Joseph Croney (MSFT)" <jcroney@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Mike,
> The Microsoft Mobile Internet Toolkit supports Pocket IE on the Pocket
PC
> 2002 platform. The MMIT runtime does allow for multiple forms on a given
> aspx page; however, when that page is rendered only one form is generally
> sent to a target device. Please send the details of the device/browser
> that is not working properly and we will follow up on this issue.
>
> Thanks,
> Joseph Croney
>
> --------------------------
rights.
> You assume all risk for your use. © 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
> reserved.

Shanku Niyogi

Michael,

Here's the scoop. On Pocket IE, the Calendar control, commands with links,
and multiple forms all rely on JScript support in the browser to "postback"
to the server.

The emulator that shipped with the Windows CE SDK has a little problem with
this - it didn't ship with the jscript.dll that enables JScript support in
the browser! Just a tiny little missing file that causes a lot of grief.
Fortunately, this was just a packaging problem, and there is a working
jscript.dll that can be installed separately. You can get this patch at
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q29....

Another tip: If you look in the MMIT QuickStart, under Viewing the Samples,
you can see instructions on how to set up various emulators and devices for
viewing MMIT pages, including this issue.

Shanku

"Michael Caron" <michael.caron@bln.sesa.de> wrote in message
> [...]
> CE.
>
> Mike Caron
>
> "Joseph Croney (MSFT)" <jcroney@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Mike,
> > The Microsoft Mobile Internet Toolkit supports Pocket IE on the Pocket
> PC
> > 2002 platform. The MMIT runtime does allow for multiple forms on a
given
> > aspx page; however, when that page is rendered only one form is
generally
> > sent to a target device. Please send the details of the device/browser
> > that is not working properly and we will follow up on this issue.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Joseph Croney
> >
> > --------------------------
> rights.
> > You assume all risk for your use. © 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All

Michael Caron

New bugs?

Ok, so I have this cool application that runs on an iPAQ, and things are
looking great. Then in the Web.config, I tell the globalization tag that
everything is UTF-8 and culture and uiculture are both de-DE. Then when the
calendar rendars on the iPAQ screen, I don't get März, I get some garbage
"MA*rz" or some odd stuff.

Then I thought, check the encoding on the browser, of course. It was set to
Western. So I change it to UTF-8 and wham-o, I can't get to multiple forms
on the same page. Change it back to Western and everything works fine.

There are no special characters in the url...is there something that I am
doing incorrectly here, or is this a bug in WinCE Browser or .NET ?

Mike