Re: Ruby package for Linux

Thomas Adam

9/22/2003 5:32:00 PM

--- Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org> wrote: > On Tuesday, 23 September 2003 at
1:49:04 +0900, Thomas Adam wrote:
> > --- Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org> wrote: > Ok, I know nothing about

> Like I said, I know nothing. I think the distro is Red Hat 7.1, but
> I don't know how to get the machine to tell me.

``
uname -a
''

And also doing:

``
less /etc/issue
''

Will help ascertain this. If it is RH, try issuing:

``
rpm -qa | grep -i ruby
''

to see if you do indeed have ruby installed.

> > Mind you, I'd be more inclined to download the source and compile it
> > yourself.
> >

> Interesting.

Yes, 'tis :)

-- Thomas Adam

=====
Thomas Adam

"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- www.linuxgazette.com

Messenger http://mail.messenger.y...

1 Answer

Jim Freeze

On Tuesday, 23 September 2003 at 2:32:08 +0900, Thomas Adam wrote:
> --- Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org> wrote: > On Tuesday, 23 September 2003 at
> 1:49:04 +0900, Thomas Adam wrote:
> > > --- Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org> wrote: > Ok, I know nothing about
>
> > Like I said, I know nothing. I think the distro is Red Hat 7.1, but
> > I don''t know how to get the machine to tell me.
>
> ``
> uname -a
> ''''

I did that one, but it didn''t tell me what I wanted to know:

Linux betty 2.4.20-20.7smp #1 SMP Mon Aug 18 14:46:14 EDT 2003 i686
unknown

> And also doing:
>
> ``
> less /etc/issue
> ''''

This one did the trick:

Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla)
Kernel \r on an \m

> Will help ascertain this. If it is RH, try issuing:
>
> ``
> rpm -qa | grep -i ruby
> ''''

rpm -q ruby
ruby-1.6.7-2

Does Linux have a remote way to query what packages are
available or a URL with a listing?

--
Jim Freeze