Re: Ruby package for Linux

Thomas Adam

9/22/2003 4:49:00 PM

--- Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org> wrote: > Ok, I know nothing about linux
packages.
> Can someone tell me if there exists a package
> for ruby with the version:
>
> ruby 1.8.0 (2003-08-04) [i686-linux]

Depends on the distro, Jim (which you didn't say). The lack of information
is appauling. If you're using Debian Testing/Stable then I can say for
sure that there is.

Mind you, I'd be more inclined to download the source and compile it
yourself.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
Thomas Adam

"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- www.linuxgazette.com

Messenger http://mail.messenger.y...

7 Answers

Dario Linsky

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 01:49:04 +0900 Thomas Adam wrote:

> --- Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org> wrote:
>> Ok, I know nothing about linux packages.
>> Can someone tell me if there exists a package for ruby with the version:
>>
>> ruby 1.8.0 (2003-08-04) [i686-linux]
>
> Depends on the distro, Jim (which you didn''t say). The lack of information
> is appauling. If you''re using Debian Testing/Stable then I can say for
> sure that there is.

It works with Red Hat 9, too - at least I am running it with no problems.
And I think it should work with most other distributions as well.

Cheers, Dario

Jim Freeze

On Tuesday, 23 September 2003 at 1:49:04 +0900, Thomas Adam wrote:
> --- Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org> wrote: > Ok, I know nothing about linux
> packages.
> > Can someone tell me if there exists a package
> > for ruby with the version:
> >
> > ruby 1.8.0 (2003-08-04) [i686-linux]
>
> Depends on the distro, Jim (which you didn''t say). The lack of information
> is appauling. If you''re using Debian Testing/Stable then I can say for
> sure that there is.

Like I said, I know nothing. I think the distro is Red Hat 7.1, but
I don''t know how to get the machine to tell me.

> Mind you, I''d be more inclined to download the source and compile it
> yourself.

Interesting.

--
Jim Freeze
----------

Jim Menard

Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org> writes:

> On Tuesday, 23 September 2003 at 1:49:04 +0900, Thomas Adam wrote:
> > --- Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org> wrote: > Ok, I know nothing about linux
> > packages.
> > > Can someone tell me if there exists a package
> > > for ruby with the version:
> > >
> > > ruby 1.8.0 (2003-08-04) [i686-linux]
> >
> > Depends on the distro, Jim (which you didn''t say). The lack of information
> > is appauling. If you''re using Debian Testing/Stable then I can say for
> > sure that there is.
> >

> Like I said, I know nothing. I think the distro is Red Hat 7.1, but
> I don''t know how to get the machine to tell me.
>
> > Mind you, I''d be more inclined to download the source and compile it
> > yourself.

Jim,

I just installed 1.8.0. All you have to do is grab the source from
ruby-lang.org and type "configure", "make", and "make install". (You may
have to be root or use the "sudo" command to perform the install.)

I had problems with the CVS version because RedHat 7.1 is so old. The CVS
Ruby source comes without the configure script, which is generated by
autoconf. When I ran autoconf, it notified me that I needed a newer version
of autoconf. That''s when I tried the source from ruby-lang.org.

Jim
--
Jim Menard, jimm@io.com, http://www.io....
"The world is divided into one group: those who start counting at 0,

ptkwt

In article <20030922132254.A25494@freeze.org>,
Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org> wrote:
>On Tuesday, 23 September 2003 at 1:49:04 +0900, Thomas Adam wrote:
>> --- Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org> wrote: > Ok, I know nothing about linux
>> packages.
>> > Can someone tell me if there exists a package
>> > for ruby with the version:
>> >
>> > ruby 1.8.0 (2003-08-04) [i686-linux]
>>
>> Depends on the distro, Jim (which you didn''t say). The lack of information
>> is appauling. If you''re using Debian Testing/Stable then I can say for
>> sure that there is.
>>

>Like I said, I know nothing. I think the distro is Red Hat 7.1, but
>I don''t know how to get the machine to tell me.

$ uname -a

>> Mind you, I''d be more inclined to download the source and compile it
>> yourself.
>>

>Interesting.

I''d second that. It''s very easy to just download the tarfile, untar it,
run:
(cd into the ruby directory)
$ ./configure
$ make
# make install

Phil

Armin Roehrl

>> Like I said, I know nothing. I think the distro is Red Hat 7.1, but
>> I don''t know how to get the machine to tell me.
>>

> $ uname -a
cat /etc/issue
might help, too.

Ciao, -A.

Armin Roehrl, http://www.appro...
We manage risk

Jim Freeze

On Tuesday, 23 September 2003 at 5:51:30 +0900, Phil Tomson wrote:
> In article <20030922132254.A25494@freeze.org>,
> Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org> wrote:
> >On Tuesday, 23 September 2003 at 1:49:04 +0900, Thomas Adam wrote:
> >> --- Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org> wrote: > Ok, I know nothing about linux
> >> packages.

> >> Depends on the distro, Jim (which you didn''t say). The lack of information
> >> is appauling. If you''re using Debian Testing/Stable then I can say for
> >> sure that there is.
> >>

> >Like I said, I know nothing. I think the distro is Red Hat 7.1, but
> >I don''t know how to get the machine to tell me.
> >

> $ uname -a

Doesn''t tell you the distro.

--
Jim Freeze

Martin DeMello

Phil Tomson <ptkwt@aracnet.com> wrote:

> $ uname -a

Does any distro actually put its name in uname? Just checked RedHat (9)
and Debian (3.0), and they only have the kernel info in uname, and the
distribution info in /etc/issue.

martin