Ruby package for Linux

Jim Freeze

9/22/2003 4:46:00 PM

Ok, I know nothing about linux packages.
Can someone tell me if there exists a package
for ruby with the version:

ruby 1.8.0 (2003-08-04) [i686-linux]

--
Jim Freeze
----------

4 Answers

David Garamond

Jim Freeze wrote:
> Ok, I know nothing about linux packages.
> Can someone tell me if there exists a package
> for ruby with the version:
>
> ruby 1.8.0 (2003-08-04) [i686-linux]

i always steal ruby rpms from this site:

http://www.caliban...

it''s impossible not to find if you spend a minute on google.

the above rpms work with redhat 7.x. grab the src rpm and rebuild (rpm
--rebuild) on your favorite distro/version.

ruby -v from this package prints:

ruby 1.8.0 (2003-08-04) [i686-linux-gnu]

PS: thanks, ian :)

--
dave

Jim Freeze

On Tuesday, 23 September 2003 at 5:49:22 +0900, David Garamond wrote:
> Jim Freeze wrote:
> > Ok, I know nothing about linux packages.
> > Can someone tell me if there exists a package
> > for ruby with the version:
> >
> > ruby 1.8.0 (2003-08-04) [i686-linux]
>
> i always steal ruby rpms from this site:
>
> http://www.caliban...
>
> it''s impossible not to find if you spend a minute on google.
>
> the above rpms work with redhat 7.x. grab the src rpm and rebuild (rpm
> --rebuild) on your favorite distro/version.

Now that''s pretty neat.
Another stupid question: I noticed some binary rpm''s
for ruby. Do the binary installs have a fixed install
location?

If not, how to they modify the internal $LOAD_PATH''s
that are stored in the ruby binary?

--
Jim Freeze
----------

Lyle Johnson

Jim Freeze wrote:

> Now that''s pretty neat.
> Another stupid question: I noticed some binary rpm''s
> for ruby. Do the binary installs have a fixed install
> location?

One *can* build "relocatable" RPMs for some packages, but in most cases
(including Ian''s ruby RPMs) they are always installed to a specific
location. In this case, ruby will be installed under the /usr prefix
(e.g. /usr/bin/ruby).

ptkwt

In article <VTQbb.3784$UE6.3698@edtnps84>,
Martin DeMello <martindemello@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Phil Tomson <ptkwt@aracnet.com> wrote:
>>
>> $ uname -a
>
>Does any distro actually put its name in uname? Just checked RedHat (9)
>and Debian (3.0), and they only have the kernel info in uname, and the
>distribution info in /etc/issue.
>
>martin

Yeah, you''re right. I was looking at it on gentoo, here''s what it says:

# uname -a
Linux traveller.home.com 2.4.19-gentoo #1 Mon Apr 29 14:24:34 PDT 2002
i686 GenuineIntel

A quick look made me think it was giving the distro, but closer inspection
reveals that gentoo is part of the kernel name.

Phil