Re: New Books on Ruby, in English. An enquiry.

Mark Wilson

9/22/2003 2:34:00 PM

On Monday, September 22, 2003, at 04:52 AM, Alec Ross wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone offer information on any new book/new editions expected to
> be
> published in the next few weeks or months?

I don't know when it will appear, but the book I am currently looking
forward to is Phlip's forthcoming book on test-first user interfaces,
which will use Ruby.

Does anyone know when the book is due to be published?

Regards,

Mark

4 Answers

phlip_cpp

> > Can anyone offer information on any new book/new editions expected to
> > be
> > published in the next few weeks or months?
> >

> I don''t know when it will appear, but the book I am currently looking
> forward to is Phlip''s forthcoming book on test-first user interfaces,
> which will use Ruby.
>
> Does anyone know when the book is due to be published?

(Speak of the devil...;)

If I told, that would screw the deadline up. It will be next year.

But more important - what is the OP looking for?

Learning Ruby from my book would be like learning Java from /Refactoring/.

I hammer on TkCanvas quite a bit.

--
Phlip

ptkwt

In article <63604d2.0309221105.313be268@posting.google.com>,
Phlip <phlip_cpp@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > Can anyone offer information on any new book/new editions expected to
>> > be
>> > published in the next few weeks or months?
>> >

>> I don''t know when it will appear, but the book I am currently looking
>> forward to is Phlip''s forthcoming book on test-first user interfaces,
>> which will use Ruby.
>>
>> Does anyone know when the book is due to be published?
>
>(Speak of the devil...;)
>
>If I told, that would screw the deadline up. It will be next year.
>
>But more important - what is the OP looking for?
>
>Learning Ruby from my book would be like learning Java from /Refactoring/.
>
>I hammer on TkCanvas quite a bit.

I''m looking forward to this book, phlip.

This is a good strategey for getting Ruby into books. At this point
publishers seem to be a bit skidish about doing Ruby titles. However, as
the new "Code Generation in Action" book shows, you can sneak Ruby in for
demonstrating other concepts (just as phlip is doing).

I''d like to see a good XML book that uses Ruby and REXML for examples.

Phil

phlip_cpp

Phil Tomson wrote:

> This is a good strategey for getting Ruby into books. At this point
> publishers seem to be a bit skidish about doing Ruby titles. However, as
> the new "Code Generation in Action" book shows, you can sneak Ruby in for
> demonstrating other concepts (just as phlip is doing).
>
> I''d like to see a good XML book that uses Ruby and REXML for examples.

Would illustrating how to write an entire sub-module in XSLT,
test-first, qualify? ;-)

(OOH I have to get off my butt and finish this f---er!!!)

--
Phlip

Tom Copeland

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 16:51, Phil Tomson wrote:
> This is a good strategey for getting Ruby into books. At this point
> publishers seem to be a bit skidish about doing Ruby titles. However, as
> the new "Code Generation in Action" book shows, you can sneak Ruby in for
> demonstrating other concepts (just as phlip is doing).

Yup, same goes for articles, too, I think. As you said, if you can find
a general problem and solve it with Ruby, though, publishers will accept
it.

Yours,

Tom