Re: POP3Filter for SoBig.F Virus:

Austin Ziegler

9/20/2003 7:04:00 PM

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 02:07:44 +0900, Xavier Noria wrote:
> On Saturday 20 September 2003 18:56, Jose Quesada wrote:
>> Can you post a link to the original code? It would be neat to compare
>> perl and ruby code for the same task.
> Well, the original code was the first dirty iteration I wrote in a hurry
> because my mailbox was being flooded by minutes. I shared it because of
> the thread in case it could be helpful to anyone else.
>
> I have cleaned it up a bit since then, factored it, and added interactive
> and nonstop modes:
>
> http://www.hashref.com/prj/pop3filter/pop...
>
> I think that's a more appropiate version for a fair comparison.

Agreed. I hope no one thinks that I was saying your version wasn't good
enough. I just didn't want to have to verify if I had Net::POP3 in Perl (I'm
pretty sure I do, since it's the ActiveState version) and so I made the Ruby
version based on what you wrote. It was good for what it did, but I found
that it missed a number of the messages (naturally, because it had fewer
regexp), and the main reason for making the change is I didn't want to
answer yes on EACH message.

At any rate, I think they're both highly usable. At some point, I think that
I'll set up a POP3 proxy form of this moving forward and integrate this,
gurgitate, and a bayesian spam checker so that I can look at doing things a
bit differently.

-austin
--
austin ziegler * austin@halostatue.ca * Toronto, ON, Canada
* 14.59.18

1 Answer

Gavin Sinclair

On Sunday, September 21, 2003, 5:03:51 AM, Austin wrote, in part:

> At any rate, I think they''re both highly usable. At some point, I think that
> I''ll set up a POP3 proxy form of this moving forward and integrate this,
> gurgitate, and a bayesian spam checker so that I can look at doing things a
> bit differently.

That would certainly interest me. If you set this up on RubyForge
you''d definitely get my feedback and contributions!

Gavin