MIT - No Session Problem with 6210 Nokia Emulator and IE5

Alex Homer

3/7/2002 10:39:00 AM

We're using the Nokia 6110 and 6210 emulators and IE5/6 to access pages
built solely with the MIT. With the default settings the 6110 emulator
(which supports cookies) works, but the 6210 emulator (which does not
support cookies) fails. Turning off cookies in IE5 has the same effect:

The page requires session state that is no longer available. Either the
session has expired, the client did not send a valid session cookie, or the
session state history size is too small. Try increasing the history size or
session expiry limit.
Exception Details: System.Exception: The page requires session state that is
no longer available. Either the session has expired, the client did not send
a valid session cookie, or the session state history size is too small. Try
increasing the history size or session expiry limit.
Stack Trace:
[Exception: The page requires session state that is no longer available.
Either the session has expired, the client did not send a valid session
cookie, or the session state history size is too small. Try increasing the
history size or session expiry limit.]
System.Web.UI.MobileControls.MobilePage.OnViewStateExpire(EventArgs e)
+43

System.Web.UI.MobileControls.MobilePage.LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium()
+286
System.Web.UI.Page.LoadPageViewState() +16

With cookieless sessions enabled, it works in all clients. However, turning
off session support in web.config also causes this error. Does this mean
that the MIT will *only* work where sessions are supported - i.e. where the
client supports cookies or cookie-less sessions are enabled?

Alex Homer

2 Answers

(Joseph Croney (MSFT))

Alex Homer

Thanks Joseph, this is really useful.

"Joseph Croney (MSFT)" <jcroney@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Alex,
> The Microsoft Mobile Internet Toolkit and ASP.NET require session to
> maintain application state between requests. If cookie-less sessions are
> enabled, MMIT will not rely on a device's cookie support. If cookie-less
> sessions are not enabled and a request is received from a device which is
> set to accept cookies in machine.config (such as IE) MMIT will rely on
that
> devices cookie support.
>
> The Nokia 6210 emulator is not on our list of tested devices for V1 of
MMIT