Re: POP3Filter for SoBig.F Virus:

Austin Ziegler

9/20/2003 1:15:00 AM

I've made more updates. Rather than just putting them here, I've created a
page at RubyGarden:

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?S...

-austin
--
austin ziegler * austin@halostatue.ca * Toronto, ON, Canada
* 21.14.03

3 Answers

daz

"Austin Ziegler" <austin@halostatue.ca> wrote:

> I''ve made more updates. Rather than just putting them here, I''ve created a
> page at RubyGarden:
>
> http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?S...

Thanks so much, Austin (and other contributors)
for putting this together.

daz

(68MB backlog now cleared)

Gavin Sinclair

> "Austin Ziegler" <austin@halostatue.ca> wrote:
>
>> I''ve made more updates. Rather than just putting them here, I''ve
>> created a page at RubyGarden:
>>
>> http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?S...
>>

> Thanks so much, Austin (and other contributors)
> for putting this together.
>

> daz
>
> (68MB backlog now cleared)

A word of warning: don''t set the size threshold too small. Yesterday, I
ran the following script (at home) all day while I was at work:

while [ true ]; do
yes | ruby pop3filter.rb
sleep 300
done

That guarded my inbox just nicely so I could check it at work.

Today, having noticed that quite a few small (1-2K) annoying Microsoft
emails were coming through, I lowered the size threshold to 1500 bytes.
Until I rang home to get it stopped, no mail was getting through to me!
For some reason, every email was matched, and thus killed, by the program!
Until I get home to see what happened, I won''t know what emails I missed
out on.

Cheers,
Gavin

Xavier Noria

On Tuesday 23 September 2003 06:32, daz wrote:

> "Austin Ziegler" <austin@halostatue.ca> wrote:
> > I''ve made more updates. Rather than just putting them here, I''ve
> > created a page at RubyGarden:
> >
> > http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?S...
>
> Thanks so much, Austin (and other contributors)
> for putting this together.

I just cleaned 27Mb of Swens this morning!!!

Just to close my contribution to this thread, I wanted to comment that
after a few little improvements the original filter was finally
published:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/sw...

-- fxn