Re: Viruses

Peter

Robert Feldt

Peter <Peter.Vanbroekhoven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be> skrev den Fri, 19 Sep 2003 23:48:53 +0900:

> Well, I wasn''t used to getting about 81 overnight... Anyway, I apologize
> for my original email since apparently the worm also looks for email
> addresses on newsservers, so anyone who has the address of a newsgroup
> stored on his pc is potentially a vector. This was not mentioned on the
> mcafee page, if I knew that I wouldn''t have sent that email... I still
> figure my recent posts caused the problems, but I guess none of you can
> help that :-(
>
> Sorry, such a sudden s***load of viruses made me panic... Not for getting
> infected (linux box), but for going down that same road as everyone. Been
> pretty spam and virus free before, at least on this email address.

I can recommend popfile which has solved my spam problem almost totally.
It has a 99.35% classification rate when classifying incoming messages
in 15 different categories. Its a bit of a mem hog though but on a modern
day computer its not much of an issue.

Regards,

Robert Feldt

Albert Wagner

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 00:02:44 +0900
Robert Feldt <feldt@ce.chalmers.se> wrote:
<snip>
> I can recommend popfile which has solved my spam problem almost
> totally. It has a 99.35% classification rate when classifying incoming
> messages in 15 different categories. Its a bit of a mem hog though but
> on a modern day computer its not much of an issue.

I use popfile also; which is fine for sorting them to trash. However,
these things all have huge attachments and my ISP keeps telling me
messages have been bounced because my space on their server is full. I
have to download each twenty minutes to keep it from exceeding 10Mb.

--
Don''t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of
thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible,

Xavier Noria

On Friday 19 September 2003 19:03, Albert Wagner wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 00:02:44 +0900
> Robert Feldt <feldt@ce.chalmers.se> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > I can recommend popfile which has solved my spam problem almost
> > totally. It has a 99.35% classification rate when classifying
> > incoming messages in 15 different categories. Its a bit of a mem
> > hog though but on a modern day computer its not much of an issue.
>
> I use popfile also; which is fine for sorting them to trash.
> However, these things all have huge attachments and my ISP keeps
> telling me messages have been bounced because my space on their
> server is full. I have to download each twenty minutes to keep it
> from exceeding 10Mb.

I don''t whether we are all receiving the same stuff, my mailbox is
flooded with messages that pretend to be security patches from you know
who. Each message is +150K and I receiving one per minute or more.

The technical service of my ISP was not very... proactive, so I hacked
up this Perl POP3 customized filter that I send in case it can help to
someone the same is helping me.

It''s simple, gets a TOP from the POP3 server, if the message has more
than 150K or in the headers or first 20 lines of body MS or Microsoft
is present prints the Subject and the From and asks whether you want to
delete it from the server. MS or Microsoft are highlited in bold red
for easy identification.

It does not download any mail by any means.

You need to install Net::POP3 to run it.

-- fxn

ahoward

mgarriss

ahoward wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, Xavier Noria wrote:
>

>>The technical service of my ISP was not very... proactive, so I hacked up
>>this Perl POP3 customized filter that I send in case it can help to someone
>>the same is helping me.
>>

><kidding>
>wow. that is awesome, but can''t we throw virtual rotten apples at you or
>something for posting a Pxxx script? i would never be so bold!
></kidding>
>
> ;-)

[virtual rotten apple flies though the air] I was justing think that!
So let''s see the ruby version someone.....this could be a learning
experience for me as I have no POP3 knowledge at all.

Michael

dagbrown

In article <3F6B658C.8050405@earthlink.net>,
Michael Garriss <mgarriss@earthlink.net> wrote:
: [virtual rotten apple flies though the air] I was justing think that!
: So let''s see the ruby version someone.....this could be a learning
: experience for me as I have no POP3 knowledge at all.

Oh, not hard.

#------------------------------------------------------------------------
require ''net/pop''
require ''gurgitate-mail'' # grab it from rubyforge, but it''s not very good :-)

server=''put_your_server_here''
username=''put_your_username_here''
password=''put_your_password_here'' # Danger danger danger!

Net::POP3.start(server,''pop3'',username,password) do |p|
p.mails.each do |m|
# No need to grab the entire message, so just get the
# first 500 lines. Should speed things up a bit for the
# dialup folks.
g=Gurgitate::Gurgitate.new(m.top(500).gsub(/\r/,''''))
if g.body =~ /TVqQAAMAAAAEAAAA\/\/8AALgAAAAAAAAAQAAAAAAAAA/ then
print "Virus from #{g.from} deleted\n"
m.delete()
else
print "Email from #{g.from} is virus-free!\n"

--Dave