Re: wiki reccomendations

David Heinemeier Hansson

9/18/2003 12:53:00 PM

> any votes/reccomendations for best ruby wiki? i'm leaning towards
> simplicity
> over features.

I have a really simple wiki almost ready for alpha testing. It's built
on Madeleine and WEBrick. It doesn't have a concept of users nor
concurrency editing yet, but it's never the less pretty useful.

Currently it has: Recent changes, searching (regexps), referenced-by

And since it's built on Madeleine and WEBrick, it's really easy to get
running. Just run one script and point your browser to localhost:2500.

What are your must-have needs?
--
David Heinemeier Hansson,
http://www.loudthi... -- Thoughts for free

2 Answers

ahoward

Chris Morris

ahoward wrote:

>>>any votes/reccomendations for best ruby wiki? i''m leaning towards
>>>simplicity
>>>over features.
>>>

>>What are your must-have needs?
>>

>hmmm.
>
>what''s the markup like? personally i''d like a way to create links w/o using
>CamelCase ;-)
>
>seriously though
>
> * concurent editing would be good. perhaps pstore could be used as a pure
> ruby way to aquire persistent locks?
>
> other than that i can''t think of too much.

I''ve got my own I''ve built - clWiki. Tested on Windows and FreeBSD. Blog
view for recent changes. You can see it in action (this one''s read-only)
here: http://clabs..... Download is here:
http://clabs.org... (oops, just noticed the latest release hasn''t
been foisted up there - lemme know if you want it).

File based storage, no special markup (well, very limited special
markup), protects against concurrent edits. CamelCase page creation.
Full hierarchy (which many consider a negative :)

I don''t know of anyone else who''s used it, so probably not the simplest
way to get up and running, but I''ve generally leaned towards simplicity
in exchange for features.

Code is open-sourced: BSD.

--

Chris