GUI for MacOS X?

Nigel Gilbert

9/18/2003 9:28:00 AM

Apologies if this is a FAQ, but I have been googling for a long time,
and failed to find a clear answer:

Is there any working, 'out of the box' cross-platform GUI library that
will work with MacOS X 10.2.x for Ruby (i.e. not requiring X11)? Am I
right in thinking that Tk still has unresolved problems on MacOS X, and
that there is no implementation of GTK+ and Fox for MacOS X? Are there
other possibilities?

Nigel

5 Answers

Laurent Sansonetti

Nigel Gilbert wrote:
> Apologies if this is a FAQ, but I have been googling for a long time,
> and failed to find a clear answer:
>
> Is there any working, ''out of the box'' cross-platform GUI library that
> will work with MacOS X 10.2.x for Ruby (i.e. not requiring X11)? Am I
> right in thinking that Tk still has unresolved problems on MacOS X, and
> that there is no implementation of GTK+ and Fox for MacOS X? Are there
> other possibilities?

What about RubyCocoa?

http://www.imasy.or.jp/~hisa/mac/rubycocoa/ind...

I used to develop with Cocoa/Java, and Ruby''s API looks better (in fact,
everything looks better in Ruby) ;-)

HTH,

--
Laurent

Lyle Johnson

Laurent Sansonetti wrote:

> What about RubyCocoa?

I believe that he''s looking for a cross-platform solution, which Cocoa
is not.

yvon.thoravallist

Lyle Johnson <lyle@knology.net> wrote:

> > What about RubyCocoa?
>
> I believe that he''s looking for a cross-platform solution, which Cocoa
> is not.

is there a Gtk-Ruby working on MacOS X ???
--
Yvon

Lyle Johnson

Yvon Thoraval wrote:

> is there a Gtk-Ruby working on MacOS X ???

Not natively; that is, GTK+ runs on Mac OS X under an X server (as does
FOX). I did find a project to port GTK+ 1.x to OS X (see
http://gtk-osx.sourc...) but it doesn''t sound like a port to GTK+
2.x is in their plans.

yvon.thoravallist

Lyle Johnson <lyle@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Not natively; that is, GTK+ runs on Mac OS X under an X server (as does
> FOX).
I never was able to finish compiling it yet without errors ???
>I did find a project to port GTK+ 1.x to OS X (see
> http://gtk-osx.sourc...) but it doesn''t sound like a port to GTK+
> 2.x is in their plans.
Might be interesting if upgrading afterwards to Gtk+2 isn''t too heavy.

--
Yvon