Installing ruby extensions

Thomas Sondergaard

9/17/2003 4:22:00 PM

I'm using mkmf to generate a makefile for my ruby extension, but my
extension relies on a few ruby scripts that will also need to be installed.
What is the recommended approach for getting these additional files
installed?

The easiest is to make an install.rb that invokes 'make site-install' to
install the extension module and installs the rest by itself.

Thomas

4 Answers

Tim Hunter

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:22:00 +0200, Thomas Sondergaard wrote:

> I''m using mkmf to generate a makefile for my ruby extension, but my
> extension relies on a few ruby scripts that will also need to be
> installed. What is the recommended approach for getting these additional
> files installed?
>
> The easiest is to make an install.rb that invokes ''make site-install'' to
> install the extension module and installs the rest by itself.
>
> Thomas

If you''re using install.rb, the pre/post task hooks may help.

For RMagick, I''m using a top-level Makefile that runs the install.rb
tasks. The ''all'' target runs the config and setup tasks, the ''install''
target runs the install task.

nobu.nokada

At Thu, 18 Sep 2003 01:30:59 +0900,
Thomas Sondergaard wrote:
> I''m using mkmf to generate a makefile for my ruby extension, but my
> extension relies on a few ruby scripts that will also need to be installed.
> What is the recommended approach for getting these additional files
> installed?

Put the scripts under lib directory. Makefile generated by
mkmf.rb will install "lib/**/*.rb" also.

--
Nobu Nakada

Thomas Sondergaard

> Put the scripts under lib directory. Makefile generated by
> mkmf.rb will install "lib/**/*.rb" also.

Okay, what if I have an additional .so file I need to install?

Tom

nobu.nokada

At Thu, 18 Sep 2003 18:33:32 +0900,
Thomas Sondergaard wrote:
> > Put the scripts under lib directory. Makefile generated by
> > mkmf.rb will install "lib/**/*.rb" also.
>
> Okay, what if I have an additional .so file I need to install?

Separate them to each directories. AFAIK, Ruby-GNOME2 would be
the most complicated example.

--
Nobu Nakada