news gateway problem?

Austin Ziegler

9/17/2003 2:00:00 PM

I've been getting a number of threads lately that appear to have originated
on the newsgroup side, but the original message does not appear there. Is
there a problem with the news gateway?

-austin
--
austin ziegler * austin@halostatue.ca * Toronto, ON, Canada
* 09.57.48

6 Answers

Pierre-Charles David

Austin Ziegler <austin@halostatue.ca> writes:

> I''ve been getting a number of threads lately that appear to have originated
> on the newsgroup side, but the original message does not appear there. Is
> there a problem with the news gateway?

I don''t know if it''s related, but I''ve been receiving several mails
from ruby-talk-admin titled "Fml status report (ruby-talk ML)" and
telling me that SpamAssassin has rejected some of my messages to the
list. However, these are all old messages which were accepted at the
time are and in the archive ([ruby-talk:78044], [ruby-talk:78073],
[ruby-talk:78453]).

Could SpamAssassin be blocking messages from the newsgroup?

Here is what it finds suspicious about my messages:

SPAM: -------------------- Start SpamAssassin results ----------------------
SPAM: This mail is probably spam. The original message has been altered
SPAM: so you can recognise or block similar unwanted mail in future.
SPAM: See http://spamassassi... for more details.
SPAM:
SPAM: Content analysis details: (5 hits, 5 required)
SPAM: Hit! (0.5 points) Possibly-forged ''Received:'' header found
SPAM: Hit! (2.5 points) Date: is in the future or unparseable
SPAM: Hit! (2.0 points) Received via a relay in relays.osirusoft.com
SPAM: [RBL check: found 210.136.87.216.relays.osirusoft.com.]
SPAM:
SPAM: -------------------- End of SpamAssassin results ---------------------

Could it be that the machine running SpamAssassin has an invalid date
in the past, and hence re-processes old messages and rejects all the
new ones partly because it considers they come from its future?

--
Pierre-Charles David (pcdavid <at> emn <dot> fr)
Computer Science PhD Student, &#201;cole des Mines de Nantes, France

mgarriss

Austin Ziegler wrote:

>I''ve been getting a number of threads lately that appear to have originated
>on the newsgroup side, but the original message does not appear there. Is
>there a problem with the news gateway?

I''ve got about 20-30 new threads in the box overnight that all start
with replies. I recognize some the subjects as being fairly old
threads too.

Michael

Michael W Thelen

* Michael Garriss <mgarriss@earthlink.net> [2003-09-17 10:04]:
> >I''ve been getting a number of threads lately that appear to have
> >originated on the newsgroup side, but the original message does not appear
> >there. Is there a problem with the news gateway?
>
> I''ve got about 20-30 new threads in the box overnight that all start
> with replies. I recognize some the subjects as being fairly old
> threads too.

Me too. And one of the messages (ruby-talk:82329, subject "Re: 99 days...")
seems to imply that "today" is August 8. Mighty suspicious...

-- Mike

--
Michael W. Thelen
last|perl -pe ''$_ x=/(..:..)...(.*)/&&"''$1''"ge$1&&"''$1''"lt$2''

Osuka Adartse

Pierre-Charles David wrote:

>Austin Ziegler <austin@halostatue.ca> writes:
>

>>I''ve been getting a number of threads lately that appear to have originated
>>on the newsgroup side, but the original message does not appear there. Is
>>there a problem with the news gateway?
>>

>I don''t know if it''s related, but I''ve been receiving several mails
>from ruby-talk-admin titled "Fml status report (ruby-talk ML)" and
>telling me that SpamAssassin has rejected some of my messages to the
>list. However, these are all old messages which were accepted at the
>time are and in the archive ([ruby-talk:78044], [ruby-talk:78073],
>[ruby-talk:78453]).
>
>Could SpamAssassin be blocking messages from the newsgroup?
>
>Here is what it finds suspicious about my messages:
>
> SPAM: -------------------- Start SpamAssassin results ----------------------
> SPAM: This mail is probably spam. The original message has been altered
> SPAM: so you can recognise or block similar unwanted mail in future.
> SPAM: See http://spamassassi... for more details.
> SPAM:
> SPAM: Content analysis details: (5 hits, 5 required)
> SPAM: Hit! (0.5 points) Possibly-forged ''Received:'' header found
> SPAM: Hit! (2.5 points) Date: is in the future or unparseable
> SPAM: Hit! (2.0 points) Received via a relay in relays.osirusoft.com
> SPAM: [RBL check: found 210.136.87.216.relays.osirusoft.com.]
> SPAM:
> SPAM: -------------------- End of SpamAssassin results ---------------------
>
>Could it be that the machine running SpamAssassin has an invalid date
>in the past, and hence re-processes old messages and rejects all the
>new ones partly because it considers they come from its future?

Recently I got a couple of those(today) from an Email account that I no
longer use for the Mailing list(I unsubscribed it, and subscribe in
another account) but where accepted back then *AND* I have been seeing
quite a bit of Old post like the utf-8 or the old procedural guy those
are *old* guess something is goin'' nee

Saludos

Rasputin

* Osuka Adartse <rocioestradacastaneda@prodigy.net.mx> [0950 04:50]:
> Pierre-Charles David wrote:
>
> >Austin Ziegler <austin@halostatue.ca> writes:
> >

> >>I''ve been getting a number of threads lately that appear to have
> >>originated on the newsgroup side, but the original message does not
> >>appear there. Is there a problem with the news gateway?
> >>

> >I don''t know if it''s related, but I''ve been receiving several mails
> >from ruby-talk-admin titled "Fml status report (ruby-talk ML)" and
> >telling me that SpamAssassin has rejected some of my messages to the
> >list. However, these are all old messages which were accepted at the
> >time are and in the archive ([ruby-talk:78044], [ruby-talk:78073],
> >[ruby-talk:78453]).
> >
> >Could SpamAssassin be blocking messages from the newsgroup?
> >
> >Here is what it finds suspicious about my messages:
> >
> > SPAM: -------------------- Start SpamAssassin results
> > ----------------------
> > SPAM: This mail is probably spam. The original message has been altered
> > SPAM: so you can recognise or block similar unwanted mail in future.
> > SPAM: See http://spamassassi... for more details.
> > SPAM:
> > SPAM: Content analysis details: (5 hits, 5 required)
> > SPAM: Hit! (0.5 points) Possibly-forged ''Received:'' header found
> > SPAM: Hit! (2.5 points) Date: is in the future or unparseable
> > SPAM: Hit! (2.0 points) Received via a relay in relays.osirusoft.com
> > SPAM: [RBL check: found
> > 210.136.87.216.relays.osirusoft.com.]

Ugh, you don''t want to take any notice of relays.osirusoft.com
,they got DOSed out of existence a few months back and now blacklist
the entire Internet - see groups.google.com for why...

Brett H. Williams

On Sep 18, Rasputin wrote:
> Ugh, you don''t want to take any notice of relays.osirusoft.com
> ,they got DOSed out of existence a few months back and now blacklist
> the entire Internet - see groups.google.com for why...
> --
> Rasputin :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns

Yes. I have the following in my .spamassassin/user_prefs:
# osirusoft is blacklisting everyone
score RCVD_IN_OSIRUSOFT_COM 0
score X_OSIRU_OPEN_RELAY 0

Speaking of spamassassin, I recently upgraded to 2.55 and I see major
improvement once the Bayes filtering kicks in.

--
Brett Williams | (970) 288-0475