Re: performance and style advice requested

Michael Campbell

9/15/2003 11:43:00 PM

--- Nikolai Weibull <lone-star@home.se> wrote:
> * Michael Campbell <michael_s_campbell@yahoo.com> [Sep, 15 2003
> 23:20]:
> > It is, at least according to wolfram, which I'm inclined to
> > believe.

> the real interesting thing is figuring out why it must be so,

Undoubtedly, but that's a bit beyond me, I'm afraid. =)

http://sitebuilder...

1 Answer

Hal E. Fulton

Michael Campbell wrote:
> --- Nikolai Weibull <lone-star@home.se> wrote:
>
>>* Michael Campbell <michael_s_campbell@yahoo.com> [Sep, 15 2003
>>23:20]:
>>
>>>It is, at least according to wolfram, which I''m inclined to
>>>believe.
>

>>the real interesting thing is figuring out why it must be so,
>

> Undoubtedly, but that''s a bit beyond me, I''m afraid. =)

Not particularly. It''s one of those things where, once you
see it, it''s no big deal.

Unfortunately, I can''t remember exactly how it works.

There are formulae that involve (n-k)!, perhaps in the
denominator, I can''t recall. And in the degenerate case
where n=k, "common sense" tells us that we get the right
answer if 0! is arbitrarily defined to be 1. So we do that.

At least, I think that''s how it works. The more math
background you have, the more you may grind your teeth at
my generalization.

Hal