[OT] Aesthetics of @ and $; [Was: Re: performance and style advice requested]

Mark Wilson

9/15/2003 10:44:00 PM

On Monday, September 15, 2003, at 05:15 PM, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> * Martin DeMello <martindemello@yahoo.com> [Sep, 15 2003 23:10]:
>>> It just makes it worse. The $ is ugly for a reason--the use of
>>> global variables is discouraged. The Ruby Way to do it would be
>>
>> Ironically, I find @var far uglier than $var - the @ is denser and
>> blockier, so it takes up a disproportionate amount of visual
>> attention.
> you realize that you two are discussing which of Ruby's scoping
> specifiers are prettier than the other, or? this does not seem to me
> have very much to do with the original problem? can't we please keep
> stuff like this out of the threads? it gets really boring following a
> thread when it spans a myriad of subtrees of mildly related topics.
> and
> in any case, using a global variable seems to be fine in such a short
> script, but should of course be an instance variable in any well-formed
> code. and, if you find the 'at' sign (@) to be too dense, using
> another
> font, or creating your own would perhaps fix this?
> [snip]

lol. Aesthetically, I prefer @ to $. One is circular, the other is
serpentine. One represents the spiritual, the other lucre.
Aesthetically, I like a little humor in the threads.

Regards,

Mark

13 Answers

Alex Martelli

Mark Wilson wrote:
> lol. Aesthetically, I prefer @ to $. One is circular, the other is
> serpentine. One represents the spiritual, the other lucre.

Surely you''re jesting? The fine $ symbol is the stylized personal
emblem of Sigismondo Malatesta, the Signore of Rimini (and many other
parts in Romagna, too). It''s an S, for Sigismondo, entwined with a
I, for Isabella, his life-long lover (I believe he did marry her on
her deathbed, actually, so she was his wife for a very short while).

When not totally stylzed, the I is generally depicted as a tree, and
the S a snake climbing the tree -- the tree of knowledge in the
garden of Eden, and the snake tempting man to reach for knowledge
of Good and Evil that apparently he was not meant to possess.

BTW, the best place to admire the $ symbol and reflect on its deep
symbolism and long history is of course the Tempio Malatestiano in
Rimini -- personally I classify it as the masterpiece of Leon Battista
Alberti, and among the true gems of the Italian Rinascimento revival
of architecture. You''ll see the tree-and-snake painted all over the
place, of course.

Nor do I have anything against serpentine symbolism, mind you (would
anyone expect me to, after all?). I just prefer the $ not to abut
other symbols (such as letters and digits) too directly, whence the
preference for $_foo over $foo.

> Aesthetically, I like a little humor in the threads.

I did think of proposing some outrageous joke, such that the "$"
stood for "dollar", but given the obvious differences between a S
and a d nobody would of course fall for that. You''d almost think
the symbol was chosen by a bunch of freemason freethinkers who
were aware of the Malatestas'' mostly-hidden roles in freemasonry,
Rosicrucianism, and other anti-clerical movements through the
centuries, starting with the Renaissance''s rediscovery of Pagan
classicism. Nah, nobody would ever fall for THAT one, either.

Alex

Martin DeMello

Alex Martelli <aleaxit@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I did think of proposing some outrageous joke, such that the "$"
> stood for "dollar", but given the obvious differences between a S
> and a d nobody would of course fall for that. You''d almost think

Actually, the $ symbol is a stylised S, for String, and has its roots in
BASIC, as ane fule kno.

martin

Tim Miller

Tipster wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 20:19:24 -0400, Tim Miller
> <replytonewsgroup@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Tipster wrote:

>>> A jolly cackling little ladyboy bitch.
>> You don't need to SIGN your posts. WE know who you are!
>>
>> ROFLMAO!
>
> Giggly Wiggly amusing himself once again.

Your "contentless" posts don't really give us much other
choice, you ignorant bitch!

ROFLMAO@U!!

Klaus Schadenfreude

In talk.politics.guns Tipster <tippytyparoo@yahooz.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 19:15:23 -0400, Tim Miller
><replytonewsgroup@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Tipster wrote:

>>> That's not how it works with republican candidates. They fuck us.
>>
>>Only because you're such a pussy.
>
>Being a female I'm quite proud of my pussy

Why are you proud of your pussy? What did you do to acquire it?

Is it unusually large?

Tim Miller

Klaus Schadenfreude wrote:
> In talk.politics.guns Tipster <tippytyparoo@yahooz.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 19:15:23 -0400, Tim Miller
>> <replytonewsgroup@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> Only because you're such a pussy.
>> Being a female I'm quite proud of my pussy
>
> Why are you proud of your pussy? What did you do to acquire it?

She bought it at an ASPCA shelter.

Tipster

On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 17:43:40 -0700, Klaus Schadenfreude
<kschadenfreude@qwest.net> wrote:

>In talk.politics.guns Tipster <tippytyparoo@yahooz.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 19:15:23 -0400, Tim Miller
>><replytonewsgroup@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>>Only because you're such a pussy.
>>
>>Being a female I'm quite proud of my pussy
>
>Why are you proud of your pussy? What did you do to acquire it?

Which act of congress precludes us from being proud of natural gifts
and when did it go into effect?

>Is it unusually large?

It only seems that way to little dicks like yourself.

Klaus Schadenfreude

In talk.politics.guns Tipster <tippytyparoo@yahooz.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 17:43:40 -0700, Klaus Schadenfreude
><kschadenfreude@qwest.net> wrote:
>
>>In talk.politics.guns Tipster <tippytyparoo@yahooz.com> wrote:

>>>Being a female I'm quite proud of my pussy
>>
>>Why are you proud of your pussy? What did you do to acquire it?
>
>Which act of congress precludes us from being proud of natural gifts
>and when did it go into effect?

"Pride" implies that you had a hand in accomplishing something. That's
like being proud that you have a hand, or a nose.

>>Is it unusually large?
>
>It only seems that way to little dicks like yourself.

I'll bet it seems that way to a torpedo.

Tipster

On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 18:07:28 -0700, Klaus Schadenfreude
<kschadenfreude@qwest.net> wrote:

>In talk.politics.guns Tipster <tippytyparoo@yahooz.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 17:43:40 -0700, Klaus Schadenfreude
>><kschadenfreude@qwest.net> wrote:

>>>Why are you proud of your pussy? What did you do to acquire it?
>>
>>Which act of congress precludes us from being proud of natural gifts
>>and when did it go into effect?
>
>"Pride" implies that you had a hand in accomplishing something. That's
>like being proud that you have a hand, or a nose.

I can see how one might be proud, if they had a great hand or a great
nose. I figure my pussy must be pretty fantastic judging by the
number of people pursuing it.

Perhaps you can find a free ESL class or something to polish your
command of the English language?

http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...

>>>Is it unusually large?
>>
>>It only seems that way to little dicks like yourself.
>
>I'll bet it seems that way to a torpedo.

Really.. and what would you bet? Money? You just speculated about
what a particularly word meant and was wrong. Something to think
about before you waste your janitor salary betting on yet another
speculation.

Klaus Schadenfreude

In talk.politics.guns Tipster <tippytyparoo@yahooz.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 18:07:28 -0700, Klaus Schadenfreude
><kschadenfreude@qwest.net> wrote:
>
>>In talk.politics.guns Tipster <tippytyparoo@yahooz.com> wrote:

>>>Which act of congress precludes us from being proud of natural gifts
>>>and when did it go into effect?
>>
>>"Pride" implies that you had a hand in accomplishing something. That's
>>like being proud that you have a hand, or a nose.
>
>I can see how one might be proud, if they had a great hand or a great
>nose.

Of course you could, since you're too stupid to know what the word
really means.

>I figure my pussy must be pretty fantastic judging by the
>number of people pursuing it.

Yeah, and I discovered a cure for cancer while orbiting Jupiter in my
time machine.

The only people pursuing your pussy is the Center for Disease Control.

>Perhaps you can find a free ESL class or something to polish your
>command of the English language?
>
>http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...

delight or elation arising from some act, possession, or relationship

Having a pussy isn't a source of pride- 50% of the earth's population
has one, although not as stretched out and crawling with vermin as
yours, I'm sure.

>>>It only seems that way to little dicks like yourself.
>>
>>I'll bet it seems that way to a torpedo.
>
>Really.. and what would you bet? Money?

Absolutely. If I can't fit a torpedo up there in three tries I'll give
you 25 cents. That's your usual rate, isn't it?

Tipster

Klaus Sad Fraud has failed to entertain me. My work is done here.
Several repugnecks owned.