Re: Dot versus double-colon

Weirich, James

9/15/2003 4:51:00 PM

> > Personally, I don't like the :: anyway, as it reminds me
> > of C++.
>
> I don't like :: for methods, because . makes sense for method calls on
> objects *and* classes, because .... well, you know why (*).
>
> :: makes sense for namespaces - as in constant resolution. It would
> not bother me one bit should :: be deprecated for method calls.

I would not argue against deprecating :: for method calls.

It seems to me, that in Ruby the "lookup in scope" operation is conceptually
different from the "send a message" operation. I like that there are two
different operators for these operations.

The fact that "::" can also double for the "send a message" operation is
something I've ignored in the past. In fact, I didn't realize until this
thread that "::" worked in normal instance method calls, I thought it only
worked with classes or modules.

--
-- Jim Weirich / Compuware
-- FWP Capture Services