Michael Caron

2/26/2002 12:13:00 PM

Passport SDK and Mobile devices DO NOT WORK, contrary to what all the
Microsoft public press and web pages say. Once again, the marketing gurus at
Microsoft have run way ahead of the developers and promised things that are
simply not there. I have tried to use Passport with 3 different types of
mobile devices and have failed on each of them. Here is what I did:

1. The Passport SDK help file says that one should call the "LoginUser"
method from the Passport manager in order to log a user in through the
mobile device. However, when you call this with the Mobile Toolkit, you get
a server error that says you must use MobilePage.RedirectToMobilePage method
instead of Response.Redirect. Thus, there is a problem with Microsoft's code
from the get go. But maybe all is not lost...

2. I called AuthUrl from the Passport Manager object to see what the url is
that .NET is trying to redirect to, and I get the following:
http://current-login.passpo...?blah&bla...... So I pull up all
three emulators, UP.Simulator, Microsoft Mobile Emulator, and Nokia
Simulator. I punch in http://current-login.passpo... into each of
them. On the Nokia, I get the error that says, ".NET Passport Web Site Not
compatible with .NET Passport Mobile". On the UP.Simulator, I actually get
somewhere that appears to be a WAP version of the .NET login page, however,
after entering my email and my password, it simply hangs and hangs and hangs
and hangs. On the MME, the page simply never even gets to the browser, it
just hangs there.

So in conclusion, from the message on the Nokia simulator, it appears that
there is some sort of wap passport page which is out there somewhere, but
Microsoft has failed to document it somewhere and provide developers with
the url to where it is. I suggest that Microsoft get on the ball and fix
development SDKs before they release them and say they work and support
things.

Mike Caron
Berlin

2 Answers

Andreas Palm

To bad to hear that, however we all should be aware that
marketing people are not trustful at all ;-)

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 12:13:04 +0100, "Michael Caron"
<michael.caron@bln.sesa.de> wrote:

>Passport SDK and Mobile devices DO NOT WORK, contrary to what all the
>Microsoft public press and web pages say. Once again, the marketing gurus at
>Microsoft have run way ahead of the developers and promised things that are
>simply not there. I have tried to use Passport with 3 different types of
>mobile devices and have failed on each of them. Here is what I did:
>
>1. The Passport SDK help file says that one should call the "LoginUser"
>method from the Passport manager in order to log a user in through the
>mobile device. However, when you call this with the Mobile Toolkit, you get
>a server error that says you must use MobilePage.RedirectToMobilePage method
>instead of Response.Redirect. Thus, there is a problem with Microsoft's code
>from the get go. But maybe all is not lost...
>
>2. I called AuthUrl from the Passport Manager object to see what the url is
>that .NET is trying to redirect to, and I get the following:
>http://current-login.passpo...?blah&bla...... So I pull up all
>three emulators, UP.Simulator, Microsoft Mobile Emulator, and Nokia
>Simulator. I punch in http://current-login.passpo... into each of
>them. On the Nokia, I get the error that says, ".NET Passport Web Site Not
>compatible with .NET Passport Mobile". On the UP.Simulator, I actually get
>somewhere that appears to be a WAP version of the .NET login page, however,
>after entering my email and my password, it simply hangs and hangs and hangs
>and hangs. On the MME, the page simply never even gets to the browser, it
>just hangs there.
>
>So in conclusion, from the message on the Nokia simulator, it appears that
>there is some sort of wap passport page which is out there somewhere, but
>Microsoft has failed to document it somewhere and provide developers with
>the url to where it is. I suggest that Microsoft get on the ball and fix
>development SDKs before they release them and say they work and support
>things.
>
>Mike Caron
>Berlin

Shanku Niyogi

Michael,

Unfortunately, the Passport SDK has not yet been tested with MMIT, and the
combination of the two are not supported together (or, for the record,
advertised as working in the documentation). We do understand that it would
be really cool to have these hooked up together - look for some samples on
how to use this in this newsgroup shortly.

A few notes regarding the Passport login site, and specific devices you
noted:

1) If you look at the source of the login page in the OpenWave (UP)
emulator, you'll see that when you enter your name and password, this is
posted to an "https" site. Passport login requires SSL so that your password
is not compromised. However, the OpenWave emulator only supports SSL when
going through a gateway, not in HTTP Direct mode. Please try going through a
gateway and see if you can log on.

2) The default Nokia emulator that comes with the Nokia WAP Toolkit does
indeed not appear to work - I'll check into what's causing this. It's
possible that the authentication was only tested with an earlier Nokia
emulator. Note also that many real Nokia phones will not work with Passport,
because they don't have SSL either.

3) MME 3.x is no longer supported by Passport login, because it has been
discontinued.

Thanks,
Shanku