What is missing in the live remote web server ?

William T

2/23/2002 5:11:00 AM

I have simple asp.net page that goes like

<%Response.Write ("Hello World")%>

This page works ok at my local server running both Win2K Pro and WinXP
Pro (IIS5, .NET Enabled)

However, when I upload it to my site (IIS 5, also .NET enabled), it
returns the aspx customerror crap...Seems to me every aspx page that
works on my localhost doesnt work over at my remote site. And the
ASP.NET Custom error page is proof that .NET is installed on their
server.

http://www.softwaremaker.net/swmweb...st/de...

However this htm page runs ok

http://www.softwaremaker.net/swmwebtest/asp.nettest...

Can anyone tell me what is missing at their server that I should tell
them abt ? Thanks for any help. I appreciate it

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.develop... ***

Shanku Niyogi

William,

Most likely, there's some configuration or other error on the published
version of the web site. But, by default, you can't see what it is from your
computer.

When you browse an ASP.NET site from a remote machine (rather than from the
local host), and an exception occurs, by default ASP.NET shows the custom
error. This is for security, so that the stack trace and other application
debugging information isn't shown to other clients.

To override this behavior, modify your web.config (or add one to your
project), so that it includes the <customErrors mode="off" /> directive.
This will let you see what the real error message is.

Shanku