Remoting and OpenFileDialog

Valerio

7/13/2004 11:34:00 PM

Hi all,
i've a big problem ^^..
the class OpenFileDialog is a MarshalByRefObject, so i've registered it in
..net remoting:

TcpServerChannel _channel = new TcpServerChannel(9932);
ChannelServices.RegisterChannel(_channel);
RemotingConfiguration.RegisterWellKnownServiceType(typeof(OpenFileDialog),
"OpenFileDialog", WellKnownObjectMode.SingleCall);

but when i try tu use it client side

object o = Activator.GetObject( t ,
"tcp://"+_hostName+":9932/OpenFileDialog");
((OpenFileDialog)o).ShowDialog();

i got a strange error:
it tels me that the server cannot load or find file or assembly
System.Windows.Forms !
at the beginning of stacktrace there is an Assembly.nLoad(..);
i can't understand why...

Thanks all !

9 Answers

Ken Kolda

By default, when SAO''s are instantiated by the remoting infrastructure, it
uses a partial assembly name to do so. That means that the assembly
containing the remoted class must be in the same directory as the remoting
server (or in a directory specified by the <probing> element or directly
referenced by the <codeBase> element in the app''s config file). It will not
look in the GAC with only a partial name.

So, on the server side, you have to tell the remoting infrastructure to use
the full assembly name as follows:

WellKnownServiceTypeEntry e =
new WellKnownServiceTypeEntry("System.Windows.Forms.OpenFileDialog",

"System.Windows.Forms,version=1.0.5000.0,publicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089,cul
ture=neutral",
"OpenFileDialog", WellKnownObjectMode.SingleCall);
RemotingConfiguration.RegisterWellKnownServiceType(e);

All of that said, I would highly recommend against what you''re doing. First
off, because you''ve made the object a SingleCall SAO, you''ll never be able
to get the filename selected by the user on the client side. The property
invocation FileName will cause a second OpenFileDialog to be instantiated on
the server. Secondly, because it''s SingleCall, you can''t call Dispose() on
this object when you''re done with it, so it will take up server resources
until garbage collected.

If you really must do this, I''d create my own wrapper class which is a SAO
singleton and exposes a method such as:

public MyServer : MarshalByRefObject
{
public string PromptForFilename()
{
using (OpenFileDialog dlg = new OpenFileDialog())
{
dlg.ShowDialog();
return dlg.FileName;
}
}
}

Ken

"Valerio" <spammami@libero.it> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> i''ve a big problem ^^..
> the class OpenFileDialog is a MarshalByRefObject, so i''ve registered it
in
> .net remoting:
>
> TcpServerChannel _channel = new TcpServerChannel(9932);
> ChannelServices.RegisterChannel(_channel);
> RemotingConfiguration.RegisterWellKnownServiceType(typeof(OpenFileDialog),
> "OpenFileDialog", WellKnownObjectMode.SingleCall);
>
> but when i try tu use it client side
>
> object o = Activator.GetObject( t ,
> "tcp://"+_hostName+":9932/OpenFileDialog");
> ((OpenFileDialog)o).ShowDialog();
>
> i got a strange error:
> it tels me that the server cannot load or find file or assembly
> System.Windows.Forms !
> at the beginning of stacktrace there is an Assembly.nLoad(..);
> i can''t understand why...
>
> Thanks all !

Valerio

Thanks very mutch !
I''ll try it soon ^^
I know the problem of the SingleCall, is because the code was a cut and
paste :)

"Ken Kolda" <ken.kolda@elliemae-nospamplease.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> All of that said, I would highly recommend against what you''re doing.
First
> off, because you''ve made the object a SingleCall SAO, you''ll never be able
> to get the filename selected by the user on the client side. The property
> invocation FileName will cause a second OpenFileDialog to be instantiated
on
> the server. Secondly, because it''s SingleCall, you can''t call Dispose() on
> this object when you''re done with it, so it will take up server resources
> until garbage collected.
>
> If you really must do this, I''d create my own wrapper class which is a SAO
> singleton and exposes a method such as:
>
> public MyServer : MarshalByRefObject
> {
> public string PromptForFilename()
> {
> using (OpenFileDialog dlg = new OpenFileDialog())
> {
> dlg.ShowDialog();
> return dlg.FileName;
> }
> }
> }

Valerio

Sry, but i''ve the same problem :(

Unable to find file or assembly called System.Windows.Forms or one of its
dependency

Server stack trace:
at System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String
codeBase, Boolean isStringized, Evidence assemblySecurity, Boolean
throwOnFileNotFound, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef,
Boolean stringized, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString,
Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String assemblyString)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingConfigInfo.LoadType(String typeName,
String assemblyName)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingConfigInfo.GetServerTypeForUri(String
URI)
at
System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingConfigHandler.GetServerTypeForUri(String
URI)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingServices.GetServerTypeForUri(String
URI)
at
System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryServerFormatterSink.ProcessMessage(IS
erverChannelSinkStack sinkStack, IMessage requestMsg, ITransportHeaders
requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, IMessage& responseMsg,
ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage
reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData&
msgData, Int32 type)
at System.Windows.Forms.CommonDialog.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
at Viewer.ServerControllerControl.Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
h:\progetti visual
studio\eventsclient\servercontroller\servercontrollercontrol.cs:line 171

is there something else i should know?

"Ken Kolda" <ken.kolda@elliemae-nospamplease.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> So, on the server side, you have to tell the remoting infrastructure to
use
> the full assembly name as follows:
>
> WellKnownServiceTypeEntry e =
> new WellKnownServiceTypeEntry("System.Windows.Forms.OpenFileDialog",

"System.Windows.Forms,version=1.0.5000.0,publicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089,cul
> ture=neutral",
> "OpenFileDialog", WellKnownObjectMode.SingleCall);
> RemotingConfiguration.RegisterWellKnownServiceType(e);

Ken Kolda

If you dump the entire exception you should see the runtime''s probing
information after the main exception info. For example, here''s what I get if
I change the full assembly name (with version, public key token and culture)
to just the name "System.Windows.Forms":

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = System.Windows.Forms
(Partial)
LOG: Appbase = C:\Documents and Settings\Kkolda\My Documents\Visual Studio
Projects\RemotingExample\Server\bin\DebugLOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
Calling assembly : (Unknown).
===

LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom,
partial, or location-based assembly bind).
LOG: Post-policy reference: System.Windows.Forms
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Documents and
Settings/KKolda/My Documents/Visual Studio
Projects/RemotingExample/Server/bin/Debug/System.Windows.Forms.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Documents and
Settings/Kkolda/My Documents/Visual Studio
Projects/RemotingExample/Server/bin/Debug/System.Windows.Forms/System.Window
s.Forms.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Documents and
Settings/Kkolda/My Documents/Visual Studio
Projects/RemotingExample/Server/bin/Debug/System.Windows.Forms.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Documents and
Settings/Kkolda/My Documents/Visual Studio
Projects/RemotingExample/Server/bin/Debug/System.Windows.Forms/System.Window
s.Forms.EXE.

If you can include this info in a post I can try to tell what''s going wrong.

> Sry, but i''ve the same problem :(
>
> Unable to find file or assembly called System.Windows.Forms or one of its
> dependency
>

> Server stack trace:
> at System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String
> codeBase, Boolean isStringized, Evidence assemblySecurity, Boolean
> throwOnFileNotFound, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
> at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef,
> Boolean stringized, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
> at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString,
> Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
> at System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String assemblyString)
> at System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingConfigInfo.LoadType(String typeName,
> String assemblyName)
> at
System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingConfigInfo.GetServerTypeForUri(String
> URI)
> at
> System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingConfigHandler.GetServerTypeForUri(String
> URI)
> at System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingServices.GetServerTypeForUri(String
> URI)
> at

System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryServerFormatterSink.ProcessMessage(IS
> erverChannelSinkStack sinkStack, IMessage requestMsg, ITransportHeaders
> requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, IMessage& responseMsg,
> ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)
>
> Exception rethrown at [0]:
> at
System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage
> reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
> at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData&
> msgData, Int32 type)
> at System.Windows.Forms.CommonDialog.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
> at Viewer.ServerControllerControl.Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
> h:\progetti visual
> studio\eventsclient\servercontroller\servercontrollercontrol.cs:line 171
>
> is there something else i should know?
>

> "Ken Kolda" <ken.kolda@elliemae-nospamplease.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> > So, on the server side, you have to tell the remoting infrastructure to
> use
> > the full assembly name as follows:
> >
> > WellKnownServiceTypeEntry e =
> > new WellKnownServiceTypeEntry("System.Windows.Forms.OpenFileDialog",

"System.Windows.Forms,version=1.0.5000.0,publicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089,cul
> > ture=neutral",
> > "OpenFileDialog", WellKnownObjectMode.SingleCall);
> > RemotingConfiguration.RegisterWellKnownServiceType(e);

Valerio

Sry but i can''t undestand what do you mean! What is the runtime''s probing
information after the main exception info?

Thanks Valerio...

> If you dump the entire exception you should see the runtime''s probing
> information after the main exception info. For example, here''s what I get
if
> I change the full assembly name (with version, public key token and
culture)
> to just the name "System.Windows.Forms":
>
> === Pre-bind state information ===
> LOG: DisplayName = System.Windows.Forms
> (Partial)
> LOG: Appbase = C:\Documents and Settings\Kkolda\My Documents\Visual Studio
> Projects\RemotingExample\Server\bin\Debug> LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
> Calling assembly : (Unknown).
> ===
>
> LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom,
> partial, or location-based assembly bind).
> LOG: Post-policy reference: System.Windows.Forms
> LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Documents and
> Settings/KKolda/My Documents/Visual Studio
> Projects/RemotingExample/Server/bin/Debug/System.Windows.Forms.DLL.
> LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Documents and
> Settings/Kkolda/My Documents/Visual Studio

Projects/RemotingExample/Server/bin/Debug/System.Windows.Forms/System.Window
> s.Forms.DLL.
> LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Documents and
> Settings/Kkolda/My Documents/Visual Studio
> Projects/RemotingExample/Server/bin/Debug/System.Windows.Forms.EXE.
> LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Documents and
> Settings/Kkolda/My Documents/Visual Studio

Projects/RemotingExample/Server/bin/Debug/System.Windows.Forms/System.Window
> s.Forms.EXE.
>

> If you can include this info in a post I can try to tell what''s going
wrong.

Ken Kolda

If you convert the exception to a string using ToString() you should get
some info below the main exception stack trace similar to what I showed
below. It starts with the line "=== Pre-bind state information ===". That
shows where .NET is looking for the referenced assembly ( a process called
"probing").

> Sry but i can''t undestand what do you mean! What is the runtime''s probing
> information after the main exception info?
>
> Thanks Valerio...
>
> "Ken Kolda" <ken.kolda@elliemae-nospamplease.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> > If you dump the entire exception you should see the runtime''s probing
> > information after the main exception info. For example, here''s what I
get
> if
> > I change the full assembly name (with version, public key token and
> culture)
> > to just the name "System.Windows.Forms":
> >
> > === Pre-bind state information ===
> > LOG: DisplayName = System.Windows.Forms
> > (Partial)
> > LOG: Appbase = C:\Documents and Settings\Kkolda\My Documents\Visual
Studio
> > Projects\RemotingExample\Server\bin\Debug> > LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
> > Calling assembly : (Unknown).
> > ===
> >
> > LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private,
custom,
> > partial, or location-based assembly bind).
> > LOG: Post-policy reference: System.Windows.Forms
> > LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Documents and
> > Settings/KKolda/My Documents/Visual Studio
> > Projects/RemotingExample/Server/bin/Debug/System.Windows.Forms.DLL.
> > LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Documents and
> > Settings/Kkolda/My Documents/Visual Studio

Projects/RemotingExample/Server/bin/Debug/System.Windows.Forms/System.Window
> > s.Forms.DLL.
> > LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Documents and
> > Settings/Kkolda/My Documents/Visual Studio
> > Projects/RemotingExample/Server/bin/Debug/System.Windows.Forms.EXE.
> > LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Documents and
> > Settings/Kkolda/My Documents/Visual Studio

Projects/RemotingExample/Server/bin/Debug/System.Windows.Forms/System.Window
> > s.Forms.EXE.
> >

> > If you can include this info in a post I can try to tell what''s going
> wrong.

Valerio

Ok, that''s all :)))

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Impossibile trovare il file o l''assembly di
nome System.Windows.Forms oppure una delle sue dipendenze.
Nome file: " System.Windows.Forms"

[...]

studio\eventsclient\servercontroller\servercontrollercontrol.cs:line 199

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = System.Windows.Forms, Version=1.0.5000.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
(Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = H:\Progetti Visual
Studio\Events\VisualizzatoreLauncher\bin\DebugLOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
Calling assembly : (Unknown).
===

LOG: Publisher policy file is not found.
LOG: Host configuration file not found.
LOG: Using machine configuration file from
C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\config\machine.config.
LOG: Post-policy reference: System.Windows.Forms, Version=1.0.5000.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///H:/Progetti Visual
Studio/Events/VisualizzatoreLauncher/bin/Debug/ System.Windows.Forms.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///H:/Progetti Visual
Studio/Events/VisualizzatoreLauncher/bin/Debug/ System.Windows.Forms/
System.Windows.Forms.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///H:/Progetti Visual
Studio/Events/VisualizzatoreLauncher/bin/Debug/ System.Windows.Forms.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///H:/Progetti Visual
Studio/Events/VisualizzatoreLauncher/bin/Debug/ System.Windows.Forms/
System.Windows.Forms.EXE.

Thanks Valerio.

> If you convert the exception to a string using ToString() you should get
> some info below the main exception stack trace similar to what I showed
> below. It starts with the line "=== Pre-bind state information ===". That
> shows where .NET is looking for the referenced assembly ( a process called

Ken Kolda

I don't know what differences there may be in the Italian version of .NET in
terms of the culture info or version number on the assemblies in the
framework. What you can do is check in the C:\Winnt\assembly folder and look
for the System.Windows.Forms assembly and see if the version number, public
key token or culture are different than the ones I provided. (If the Culture
column is blank, that means Culture=neutral).

Also, I can't tell if this is the case, but it looks like you may have an
extra leading space in the name of the assembly in your
WellKnownServiceEntry. Notice the extra space in the line

Nome file: " System.Windows.Forms"

before the word System.

> [...]
> Studio/Events/VisualizzatoreLauncher/bin/Debug/ System.Windows.Forms/
> System.Windows.Forms.DLL.
> LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///H:/Progetti Visual
> Studio/Events/VisualizzatoreLauncher/bin/Debug/ System.Windows.Forms.EXE.
> LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///H:/Progetti Visual
> Studio/Events/VisualizzatoreLauncher/bin/Debug/ System.Windows.Forms/
> System.Windows.Forms.EXE.
>
> Thanks Valerio.
>

> "Ken Kolda" <ken.kolda@elliemae-nospamplease.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> > If you convert the exception to a string using ToString() you should get
> > some info below the main exception stack trace similar to what I showed
> > below. It starts with the line "=== Pre-bind state information ===".
That
> > shows where .NET is looking for the referenced assembly ( a process

Valerio

That was the problem! Thanks !!!
Peraps is not what i wanted to do :(
I would be able to browse a remote filesystem but with this method the
openfiledialog is opened in the server and not in the client :(
Do you know some way to do that?

Hi! Valerio.