Erratic System.NullReferenceException

Harold

7/13/2004 6:31:00 PM

Hi I have a project I have client in PC A and server in PC B (SAO and
Singleton).

I get an instance of object in B and I pass to B a reference to another
object hosted in A in the same client process. Then from B I call a method
to object A sent.

This thing works fine allways in my lan, but some friends test this system
in 2 PCs direct connected by a cross RJ45 cable, so no DNS. and some times
work and some times does not. They have tested many PCs (fresh installed)
and the only combination that work sometimes is PC A on Windows Xp and PC B
on Win 2K.

Does the direct cable and no DNS server or windows domain has something to
do with this errors ?

Thanks

Harold J. A. Chelala

5 Answers

Sunny

See if setting machineName to the IP of the machine will work.

Sunny

In article <u$KsegQaEHA.3476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, chelala_cu@yahoo.com
says...
> Hi I have a project I have client in PC A and server in PC B (SAO and
> Singleton).
>
> I get an instance of object in B and I pass to B a reference to another
> object hosted in A in the same client process. Then from B I call a method
> to object A sent.
>
> This thing works fine allways in my lan, but some friends test this system
> in 2 PCs direct connected by a cross RJ45 cable, so no DNS. and some times
> work and some times does not. They have tested many PCs (fresh installed)
> and the only combination that work sometimes is PC A on Windows Xp and PC B
> on Win 2K.
>
> Does the direct cable and no DNS server or windows domain has something to
> do with this errors ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Harold J. A. Chelala

Harold

Incredibly the only test that ocasionally worked in those direct linked PCs
was using their name instead of the IP address :-(

thanks for asking

Harold J. A. Chelala

"Sunny" <sunny@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> See if setting machineName to the IP of the machine will work.
>
> Sunny
>

> In article <u$KsegQaEHA.3476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, chelala_cu@yahoo.com
> says...
> > Hi I have a project I have client in PC A and server in PC B (SAO and
> > Singleton).
> >
> > I get an instance of object in B and I pass to B a reference to another
> > object hosted in A in the same client process. Then from B I call a
method
> > to object A sent.
> >
> > This thing works fine allways in my lan, but some friends test this
system
> > in 2 PCs direct connected by a cross RJ45 cable, so no DNS. and some
times
> > work and some times does not. They have tested many PCs (fresh
installed)
> > and the only combination that work sometimes is PC A on Windows Xp and
PC B
> > on Win 2K.
> >
> > Does the direct cable and no DNS server or windows domain has something
> > do with this errors ?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Harold J. A. Chelala

zhenghuan

Does someone has idea on how to develop the business application with Service Oriented Architecture applied in .NET Remoting?
??????????????????????????????????????????
?&#250; ??D'µ&#224;?o

??????????????????????????????????????????

?? &#224;???
zhenghuan
wzhaaaaa@hotmail.com

Sunny

and what do you mean by "works" and "don''t works"?

Any exceptions? When?

Sunny

In article <ONGA9MRaEHA.2056@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, chelala_cu@yahoo.com
says...
> Incredibly the only test that ocasionally worked in those direct linked PCs
> was using their name instead of the IP address :-(
>
> thanks for asking
>
> Harold J. A. Chelala
>
> "Sunny" <sunny@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> > See if setting machineName to the IP of the machine will work.
> >
> > Sunny
> >

> > In article <u$KsegQaEHA.3476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, chelala_cu@yahoo.com
> > says...
> > > Hi I have a project I have client in PC A and server in PC B (SAO and
> > > Singleton).
> > >
> > > I get an instance of object in B and I pass to B a reference to another
> > > object hosted in A in the same client process. Then from B I call a
> method
> > > to object A sent.
> > >
> > > This thing works fine allways in my lan, but some friends test this
> system
> > > in 2 PCs direct connected by a cross RJ45 cable, so no DNS. and some
> times
> > > work and some times does not. They have tested many PCs (fresh
> installed)
> > > and the only combination that work sometimes is PC A on Windows Xp and
> PC B
> > > on Win 2K.
> > >
> > > Does the direct cable and no DNS server or windows domain has something
> > > do with this errors ?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Harold J. A. Chelala

Shaun Wilson

Microsoft .NET Remoting is SOA Applied. By using .NET Remoting you will
be developing against a Service Oriented Architecture, by following
basic SOA guidelines you will have a Service Oriented Architecture
end-to-end.

I have read a few SOA books and I have been using .NET Remoting since
2002, if you have specific questions on how to implement specific
patterns ask here and I will try to reply as I have time.