vips

7/13/2004 1:55:00 PM

How do I deploy remoting objects on IIS server .?

I have created a example application which has a client and server,
and server is console application. my client access the console server.
But i want to create a server which starts as soon as my machine boots up
...can i deploy the remote object on IIS ?
if yes then how ? if no then what else is the solution to make the remote
compoenents available ?
I have a winform based client .
thanks

2 Answers

Ken Kolda

Unless you have an explicit need to use IIS, you''re better of creating a
windows service for your server (see the System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase
class). This is the easiest way to ensure the server starts at boot up as
well.

Ken

"vips" <ypuls@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> How do I deploy remoting objects on IIS server .?
>

> I have created a example application which has a client and server,
> and server is console application. my client access the console server.
> But i want to create a server which starts as soon as my machine boots up
> ..can i deploy the remote object on IIS ?
> if yes then how ? if no then what else is the solution to make the remote
> compoenents available ?
> I have a winform based client .
> thanks

Sunny

the possible hosts for your remote object are:

1. Console app - not suitable for production use, but it is great for
development/debugging
2. IIS - if you need your object exposed to internet, and to use the
advanced security possibilities of IIS, like authentication, SSL, etc.
3. Windows services - you have all advantages of the windows services,
like staring/stopping when the machine boots, restarting, etc.

HOW?

1. you have done it.

2.
a: using web.config, there is an article in msdn. It is mostly like the
same config settings you use with a config file in a console app, if you
use it.
b: if you prefer a programmatic configuration, put your object
registration in the ApplicationStart in Global.asax

3. The same as before, either using a config file or using a
programmatic configuration. Start a new windows service project in
VS.Net, and put the remoting configuration part in the OnStart method.

Hope that helps
Cheers
Sunny

In article <#N50wDOaEHA.2812@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, ypuls@yahoo.com