Security and multi-user support in Remoting

sprungli

7/12/2004 3:49:00 PM

Hello,

I work on a distributed system relying on .NET Remoting at the middle tier.
For now I am not able to use COM+ on the server. All the security and
multi-user handling must be done in the remotable class or in utility
classes used by the former. I presume the answer is no, but let me ask, just
to have some peer opinions: are there any built in (COM+ like) features in
Remoting for security and multi-user handling, or I will need to implement
everything from scratch?

TIA

3 Answers

Allen Anderson

depends, if you use IIS to host your object, then you can get some of
that stuff from the web server. Otherwise, you will need to implement
most of the by hand.

Cheers,
Allen Anderson
http://www.glacialcomp...
mailto: allen@put my website base here.com

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:48:58 -0400, "sprungli"
<sprungli1@netscape.net> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I work on a distributed system relying on .NET Remoting at the middle tier.
>For now I am not able to use COM+ on the server. All the security and
>multi-user handling must be done in the remotable class or in utility
>classes used by the former. I presume the answer is no, but let me ask, just
>to have some peer opinions: are there any built in (COM+ like) features in
>Remoting for security and multi-user handling, or I will need to implement
>everything from scratch?
>
>TIA

sprungli

Thanks Allen,

yes, it is true for the security features (authentication/authorization),
but how about managing concurrent access? I see no way where IIS could help
with that.

s.

"Allen Anderson" <allen@sparkysystems.com> wrote in message
> depends, if you use IIS to host your object, then you can get some of
> that stuff from the web server. Otherwise, you will need to implement
> most of the by hand.
>
> Cheers,
> Allen Anderson
> http://www.glacialcomp...
> mailto: allen@put my website base here.com
>
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:48:58 -0400, "sprungli"
> <sprungli1@netscape.net> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I work on a distributed system relying on .NET Remoting at the middle
tier.
> >For now I am not able to use COM+ on the server. All the security and
> >multi-user handling must be done in the remotable class or in utility
> >classes used by the former. I presume the answer is no, but let me ask,
just
> >to have some peer opinions: are there any built in (COM+ like) features
in
> >Remoting for security and multi-user handling, or I will need to
implement
> >everything from scratch?
> >
> >TIA

Allen Anderson

yea, concurrent access would have to be managed in your app. Sorry I
didn''t mention that specifically.

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:07:41 -0400, "sprungli"