PropertyGrid throws when selected object is remoting object

Bob Rundle

7/9/2004 12:12:00 PM

I'm trying to use the property grid to browse properties on a remoting
object. While setting the SelectedObject property of the PropertyGrid I get
the following exception...

"Attempted to call a method declared on type
System.ComponentModel.ICustomTypeDescriptor on an object which exposes
joaSimulationServer.joaSimulationResources."

Now joaSimulationServer.joaSimulationResources is the remote object. The
only thing available on the client side is the interface to this object
ISimulationResources. I would have expected the property grid to enumerate
the properties in this interface in the same way that the VB object browser
enumerates COM properties from IDL info.

What am I doing wrong?

Regards,
Bob Rundle

3 Answers

Bob Rundle

Ok...here''s some more info.

I implemented the ICustomTypeDescriptor interface in the remote object and I
got further.

However now the except is that AttributeCollection in System.ComponentModel
is not marked with the serializable attribute.

It appears that I can''t win going down this route. Which is very surprising
to me because I throught it would be very natural for the property grid to
enumerate interface properties.

Regards,
Bob Rundle

"Bob Rundle" <rundle@rundle.com> wrote in message
> I''m trying to use the property grid to browse properties on a remoting
> object. While setting the SelectedObject property of the PropertyGrid I
get
> the following exception...
>
> "Attempted to call a method declared on type
> System.ComponentModel.ICustomTypeDescriptor on an object which exposes
> joaSimulationServer.joaSimulationResources."
>
> Now joaSimulationServer.joaSimulationResources is the remote object. The
> only thing available on the client side is the interface to this object
> ISimulationResources. I would have expected the property grid to
enumerate
> the properties in this interface in the same way that the VB object
browser
> enumerates COM properties from IDL info.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Regards,
> Bob Rundle

Matthew B. Tepper

wagnerfan <wagnerfan@comcast.net> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:eb999c04-43ff-4101-80c4-
ecbdefae854f@20g2000vbr.googlegroups.com:

> On Apr 8, 9:33?pm, "Matthew B. Tepper" <oy?@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> David Oberman <DavidOber...@att.net> appears to have caused the following
>> letters to be typed innews:h4jsr55juju8tgkfp3gm6ri7577cqten41@4ax.com:

>> > No, but I hope the latter features "Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum" taken
>> > at a leisurely andante.
>>
>> No, unfortunately Andante isn't issuing recordings any more.
>
> A real shame - beautifully presented and remastered (e.g. the
> Toscanini Meistersinger from Salzburg remastered by Ward Marston)
> Sorry they are gone. Wagner fan

Yes, gone before they could issue Toscanini's "Zauberfl?te" or Walter's "Don
Giovanni." Both are available on other labels, of course, but in the
earlier, doubtless inferior transfers.

Read about "Proty" here: http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/...
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers

Matthew B. Tepper

Dontaitchicago@aol.com appears to have caused the following letters to be
typed in news:fa13c40f-0a7e-4532-8126-799b3328bbe8@
12g2000yqi.googlegroups.com:

> On Apr 9, 1:18???pm, CharmNick <n.mor...@sheffield.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> [editing from two contributors]

>> Agreed but they misread the market. They issued too many things which
>> their target buyers already had - often, in compilations which partly
>> duplicated existing compilations or collections. And they were poorly
>> marketed - if at all; where were the ads, where was the editorial? The
>> packaging was a tad prodigal with (presumably) expensive paper and the
>> seams of the card CD sleeves often leaked glue, mixed with black
>> fibres, onto the CD playing surface, whence it could not be removed
>> (when will designers learn to put glued seams on the OUTSIDE of
>> sleeves?). The (presumably also) expensive MusicRoom, or whatever it
>> was called, was ahead of its time. It all added up to overambitious
>> prices, which soon had to be slashed, before the products were dumped.
>> I wasn't at all suprised they went to the wall.
>>
>> Nick
>
> This says it perfectly. I bought a fair number of the Andante sets,
> some when they were being remaindered after the label's collapse. I've
> never regretted having done so, and treasure what I have, including the
> excellent transfers of Stokowski/Philadelphia 78s plus of course the
> Toscanini and Bruno Walter Salzburg titles. But Andante was overambitious
> indeed, and the problems with the packaging and sleeves were serious. The
> leaked glue was a big problem on some of the CDs. It seems to have been a
> great and ambitious idea/project that had inferior planning.

Kind of like Sony's Masterworks Heritage series?