Re: Beginners remoting question!!

Allen Anderson

7/8/2004 3:16:00 PM

moving the dll to a network share in order for the clients to call it
is really unnecessary. You can ship the share dll with the client
usually pretty easily and reference that. Further, if you have a good
ntier solution, you probably can use SAO singlecall objects to begin
with.

If the reason that you are putting objects on the share is so it will
catch changes, this is really unnecessary unless you are talking about
changing the interface. As long as you are using a proxy/share dll
that doesn't actually have implementation code in it, you can change
the implementation dll all you want without any problems.

If you need more information on a basic share situation without
pushing the implementation dll, check out this article.

http://www.glacialcomp.../ArticleDetail.aspx?articleID=Re...

Cheers,
Allen Anderson
http://www.glacialcomp...
mailto: allen@put my website base here.com

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 10:23:53 +0100, "Alex Stevens"
<AlexStevens_NOSPAMPLEASE@gcc.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>We are looking at using remoting at one of our clients sites to share common
>data / objects.
>One application they have so far has been written in a n-tier fashion, and
>all information is retrieved through a middle tier which is a DLL which
>exposes the database information through objects.
>
>So far, this DLL sits in the applications directory with the exe, and has an
>XML file which provides it will the connection information etc.
>
>Now is where I get out of my depth - I read on here about SOAP and CAO but
>it doesn't yet make much sense to me.
>
>Using remoting, are we able to move the dll to a network share or similar
>and call that object from there, having made some modification to the UI
>tier?
>
>In summary, what work needs to be done to use objects from a central
>location, as opposed to locally?
>What do I have to read up on to implement this if it is applicable?
>
>Thanks guys
>
>Alex

1 Answer

Aaron J. Bossig

"Ensor" <none@localhost> wrote in

> Hi,
>
> > Cartridges should be almost immortal, since the ROM chips were
> >only intended to be written once....
>
> Actually, ROM chips are manufactured containing their contents. They
> are *NEVER* written to in the conventional sense.

Really bad choice of words on my part. Thanks.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.Gods...