Choosing a well know port number

Bob Rundle

7/8/2004 2:29:00 PM

Here's a simple question:

I'm building an application that will have a wide deployment in a specific
industry. I am using .NET remoting and will need to assign a few well known
port numbers.

At the present moment I'm using 8080, 8081, and the rest of that
foolishness.

How do I choose a a port number that is unlikely to conflict with other
apps? Is there some way to register my well known port number?

Bob Rundle

4 Answers

Allen Anderson

Your generally pretty safe in the upper 1000''s as there are few custom
apps that use custom port numbers in real enterprise environments.
Its always a good idea however to let people configure the port to
meet their speicfic enterprise needs.

Cheers,
Allen Anderson
http://www.glacialcomp...
mailto: allen@put my website base here.com

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 09:29:26 -0500, "Bob Rundle" <rundle@rundle.com>
wrote:

>Here''s a simple question:
>
>I''m building an application that will have a wide deployment in a specific
>industry. I am using .NET remoting and will need to assign a few well known
>port numbers.
>
>At the present moment I''m using 8080, 8081, and the rest of that
>foolishness.
>
>How do I choose a a port number that is unlikely to conflict with other
>apps? Is there some way to register my well known port number?
>
>Bob Rundle

Bob Rundle

Well...I am writing a custom app for a real enterprise environment. Your
note makes me think that I have overlooked something very basic. Is there a
set of well know ports I should be choosing from? I know there is an RFP
which lists all the well know ports. Should I find my way onto this list?

"Allen Anderson" <allen@sparkysystems.com> wrote in message
> Your generally pretty safe in the upper 1000''s as there are few custom
> apps that use custom port numbers in real enterprise environments.
> Its always a good idea however to let people configure the port to
> meet their speicfic enterprise needs.
>
> Cheers,
> Allen Anderson
> http://www.glacialcomp...
> mailto: allen@put my website base here.com
>
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 09:29:26 -0500, "Bob Rundle" <rundle@rundle.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Here''s a simple question:
> >
> >I''m building an application that will have a wide deployment in a
specific
> >industry. I am using .NET remoting and will need to assign a few well
known
> >port numbers.
> >
> >At the present moment I''m using 8080, 8081, and the rest of that
> >foolishness.
> >
> >How do I choose a a port number that is unlikely to conflict with other
> >apps? Is there some way to register my well known port number?
> >
> >Bob Rundle

wwbach

You may find the following web pages useful:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/samplechapters/cnfc/cnfc_po...
http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_TCPIPApplicationAssignmentsandServerPortNumber...

Also, You could try to connect to the port before starting your server
to see if any other application is running there. -- Bud

"Bob Rundle" <rundle@rundle.com> wrote in message news:<#8EA0fPZEHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> Here''s a simple question:
>
> I''m building an application that will have a wide deployment in a specific
> industry. I am using .NET remoting and will need to assign a few well known
> port numbers.
>
> At the present moment I''m using 8080, 8081, and the rest of that
> foolishness.
>
> How do I choose a a port number that is unlikely to conflict with other
> apps? Is there some way to register my well known port number?
>
> Bob Rundle

Bob Rundle

Thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for. I submitted a request for
a user port to iana.org.

Bob Rundle