Re: Deserialization in .NET Remoting

IGor

7/1/2004 3:10:00 PM

Someone decided to change security level between two framework versions. I
had the same problem few months ago. If you find some more problems during
migration from 1.0 to 1.1 first look at:

Breaking Changes from version 1.0 to 1.1
http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/changeinfo/Backwards1.0to1.1/default.asp...

I'm scared what braking changes will be introduced for moving from 1.1 to
2.0.

Igor.

"Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The chapter 4 lab, "Creating and Consuming .NET Remoting Objects", in the
book "Developing XML Web Services and Server Components with Microsoft
Visual Basic .NET and Visual C# .NET" (Exams 70-310 and 70-320) directs you
to create a chat application. The application consists of a ChatCoordinator
class, Server class and Client class.

> Attempting to start Client.exe using the v1.1 .NET Framework generates the
following error:

> Unhandled Exception: System.Security.SecurityException: Type
System.DelegateSerializationHolder and the types derived from it (such as
System.DelegateSerializationHolder) are not permitted to be deserialized at
this security level.

> Using the information contained in the article "Automatic Deserialization
in .NET Remoting" in the ".NET Framework Developer's Guide", I modified the
application configuration files (Central.config, Client.config) to set the
typeFilterLevel attribute of the <formatter> element to to "Full" to solve
the problem.

> In the Central.config file used by Server.exe modify the channel
configuration:

> <channel ref="http" port="8080">
> <serverProviders>
> <formatter ref="soap" typeFilterLevel="Full" />
> </serverProviders>
> </channel>
>
> In the Client.config file used by Client.exe modify the channel
configuration:

> <channel ref="http" port="0">
> <serverProviders>
> <formatter ref="soap" typeFilterLevel="Full" />
> </serverProviders>
> </channel>
>
> These changes to the application configuration files resolved the error.
I was able to run without error the chat application demonstrating the
creation and consuming of .NET remoting objects.