Passing CCW across process boundaries

(Jeremy)

7/1/2004 1:33:00 PM

Hi all,

I've got a managed DLL which contains some classes which are registered for
COM interop. I've written an unmanaged (WSH) script which does the
following:

1. Creates an instance of the managed object through COM interop (object A)

2. Creates an instance of an unmanaged automation object served by an .EXE
server (object B) 3. Passes object A into object B as the parameter of a
method call:

B.SetObject(A).

4. The unmanaged C++ implementation of the SetObject method tries to access
a parameter of A's, and the call fails with the following RemotingException
(as a COM error):

"This remoting proxy has no channel sink which means either the server has
no registered server channels that are listening, or this application has no
suitable client channel to talk to the server."

I know what this means in the managed world, but I can't quite grasp the
implications of this message when I am dealing with COM wrappers. Shouldn't
DCOM handle the cross-process marshalling of interfaces without me having to
do anything in particular in the client or server? Since both clients are
unmanaged, how can they be expected to know about remoting channels?

Thanks for any advice,

Jeremy