Remoting -v- Enterprise Services -v- Web-services

A Mackie

6/29/2004 12:39:00 PM

With Microsoft (Richard Turner) now suggesting Enterprise Services for
the internal tiers of applications, and minimizing the use of remoting
(a "last resort" option?), what are people's thoughts on technologies
for new n-tier applications in WAN/Internet environments ?

Scenario:
Application tiers all on physically separate machines:

1. client UI (smart-client and/or browser) - geographically dispersed
2. Presentation layer (e.g. IIS for browsers) - external network zone
3. Business layer/data-access layer - on internal network zone
4. Database (SQL ServeR)

What to use for the internal tiers of an application
(intra-application) - i.e. presentation layer talking to business layer
?

Web-services - good for integrating with other apps, but should it be
used between tiers of an app ? Is performance reduced significantly ?

Enterprise Services - uses DCOM => security configuration & firewall
nightmares ? Is this so ?

Remoting - high performance, but is it legacy, becoming deprecated ?

Thoughts on this ?

Thanks,
Andy Mackie