Reproducing InProc Server effect in .Net WinForms

balg

6/28/2004 10:38:00 AM

In Windows Forms, I need to spin off a form (say a debugInfoWindow) which will not close even if the main form / application closes.

This was achieved in VB6 by placing that form in an inproc server Exe and opening it with a load library / createobject. ( this also allowed data transfer between the two forms.)

How this can be done in .Net ? Guess creating a new AppDomain and hosting the form's assembly there is the right direction. but still it gets closed when the main window is closed.

1 Answer

Allen Anderson

by definition, creating an object that forces a process to stay open
even when it wants to close is not a good thing. However, many people
have created debug window processes that they connect to through
remoting (a very easy thing to do). The only catch would be that the
debug window would need to be its own exe. This is probably the
better way to go anywya and should give exactly the results you
desire.

Cheers,
Allen Anderson
http://www.glacialcomp...